• Register
  • Help

Topic: Marriage Of Figaro

Share/Bookmark

Marriage Of Figaro

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Thanks to Sean Hannifin for his post a few weeks ago. I just got home from CU Opera's performance. Absolutely outstanding, and reasonable seats for $17. Seriously, I feel that I've wasted much of my life by not going to more operas and concerts.

Re: Marriage Of Figaro

Woohoo! Glad you enjoyed the opera too!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Beware- MoF is one of the least awful operas ever written (along with Magic Flute)- it'll spoil you for a lot of the other ones you may encounter (especially of the histrionic Italian variety)

(Someone os bound to bring up Wagner at this point- just smile and slowly back away )

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Beware- MoF is one of the least awful operas ever written (along with Magic Flute)- it'll spoil you for a lot of the other ones you may encounter (especially of the histrionic Italian variety)

(Someone os bound to bring up Wagner at this point- just smile and slowly back away )
    Don't back too far.
    Wagner is outstanding...........

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Don't back too far.
    Wagner is outstanding...........

Sure, when performed by Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd! OK, Sorry, I couldn't pass that up

Seriously, though, What's Opera Doc is the best version of Wagner ever staged. And it's over in 7 minutes.

(Really, I like Wagner, in doses.)

Today I went back and saw it again, seven rows farther back, but for only $10. Like Sean, I want to get the score; unlike Sean, most of it will be far too difficult for me to digest, so I don't want to spend much. Do I have to be careful to get the right edition, or will anything be fine for my purposes?

Never having heard or seen a Wagner opera, I cannot take sides yet. I loved his Seigfreid Idyll, but that was written for a different purpose than his operas, and much shorter. I have used some of his painting tools, particularly the Power Roller, which allowed me to paint rapidly, though cleanup was a chore. I agree that What's Opera, Doc? is fantastic. Among other things, it proves that Elmer Fudd had a wider range as an actor than his usual roles allowed.

Go Back to forum