• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: don't buy Aardvark........

Share/Bookmark

don\'t buy Aardvark........

Hi,
    just a short note to point out my irritation that not only is it 4 months since Aardvark released a driver update (the current one still doesn\'t work properly with logic audio 4) - but in the 12 MONTHS that I have had the card, they have promised a directx driver, which has failed to materialise. Because of this, I would strongly recommend an Echo card instead if you are looking to buy.

Bob

p.s. it\'s been a while since i have posted here, but this is getting on my nerves. The so-called jack of all audio cards has proven to be nothing of the sort.

Re: don\'t buy Aardvark........

I fully agree that unfortunatly Aardvark is not a serious company. It took them a year to release bad working 24bit drivers while all the time they sold their cards claiming they where more than 16 bits. I guess this seems a bit like a PC problem though, because I\'m not hearing the best stories in the world about other cards like Event.

Well, you know I have both the Aark 20/20 and the Gina. And I can\'t honestly think of any problem I have ever had with the Gina. And to top it off - guess who\'s just posted Windows 2000 drivers on their site. That won\'t be Aardvark then will it? If the new Gina has anything like the driver support of the old, then I\'m gonna trade in my Aardvark against one shortly.....

Erm, it\'s heartening to know that I\'m not the only one pissed off with Aardvark and their questionable and mostly non-existant drivers. Seems they are happy to sell the cards, but they don\'t care what happens after that

Bob

I hate to play the devil\'s advocate here, but I do have to compliment Aardvark on the quality of their sync boxes. I\'ve never used their sound cards, so I can\'t speak to that, but their sync boxes are outstanding and an attractive alternative to much more expensive devices, like Digidesign\'s USD.

Let\'s hope they can get their other products to the same level.

Thats very interesting Joris that you say you are thinking of returning your card. I considered this also and it\'s still less than a year since I got it, but I think the law states that if something electronic is provably faulty then you have to return it within reasonable time which is something like 3 months. It\'s particularly annoying since I paid £400 for my Gina originally, which I then gave to my friend, and then paid a whopping £800 for the Aark 20/20+. I genuinely thought that £800 would be worth it because it was suggested that it was the \"do-it-all\" of soundcards. It was pretty much straight away that I discovered it\'s inability to work with Directx. I didn\'t care that much at first, because I intended to use it for Logic Audio. Imagine my pleasant surprise to discover that it didn\'t work with Logic Audio either.

Cue emails to Aardvark - \"we\'re working on a fix which should allow the aark to work with logic\" cue 3 month wait - cue other email \"we\'ve got a fix that will work with logic audio, version 4 that is\" erm, i had v3.5

so i wasted a couple of hundred pounds upgrading to Logic audio 4, to discover that it worked, but has been very unstable to this day. (i.e. 6 stereo tracks in, and logic tells me the card can\'t keep up, and if you go into the aark\'s driver window and look at the pci bus efficiency, it\'s like, dying.....on a p450 with 256 of memory....i don\'t think so).

cue more emails asking when the drivers will be improved - \"we have an asio driver which works with logic audio, please try it\"

yeah, ok, this is where it gets interesting - under the trades description act in the uk, this is where Aardvark specifically broke the law. I\'m in contact with several Logic Audio 4 users, and a few of them are Aark users also. NOT ONE is able to use the asio driver, it\'s simply not functional.

In the local music magazines the Aark 20 and now the 24 are advertised as being ASIO cards. This is like advertising a 1-litre hatchback as being a v8 turbocharged racecar. It\'s frankly bollocks and they know it. And I\'ve said this to the guys in these shops when I\'ve phoned up about other stuff.

----------------

am i waffling?

anyway, Joris, I don\'t think I can be bothered with the hassle of trying to return my card. Although, the faulty sockets (4) on the front would probably be justification enough. Instead, I am going to trade it in against the new Gina. I am also going to make sure that anyone that I know who is in the market for a new audio card knows the facts about the aark cards.

(just remembered another cracker - A guy I spoke to who was having similar problems to me, faxed them about using the card with Reality or some soft synth and the guy who replied said that their \"low-latency\" driver was better than directx anyway so he shouldn\'t need a directx driver. absolutely ****ing incredulous......)

Bob

p.s. you may be able to tell I feel a little passionate about this subject

Because of there good name for syncboxes I decided to buy Aardvark. But I think it\'s a whole different division of Aardvark, their customer service on the soundcard side is really bad I\'m thinking of returning my card, because it never worked good from the start.

Thats very interesting Joris that you say you are thinking of returning your card. I considered this also and it\'s still less than a year since I got it, but I think the law states that if something electronic is provably faulty then you have to return it within reasonable time which is something like 3 months. It\'s particularly annoying since I paid £400 for my Gina originally, which I then gave to my friend, and then paid a whopping £800 for the Aark 20/20+. I genuinely thought that £800 would be worth it because it was suggested that it was the \"do-it-all\" of soundcards. It was pretty much straight away that I discovered it\'s inability to work with Directx. I didn\'t care that much at first, because I intended to use it for Logic Audio. Imagine my pleasant surprise to discover that it didn\'t work with Logic Audio either.
    Cue emails to Aardvark - \"we\'re working on a fix which should allow the aark to work with logic\" cue 3 month wait - cue other email \"we\'ve got a fix that will work with logic audio, version 4 that is\" erm, i had v3.5

so i wasted a couple of hundred pounds upgrading to Logic audio 4, to discover that it worked, but has been very unstable to this day. (i.e. 6 stereo tracks in, and logic tells me the card can\'t keep up, and if you go into the aark\'s driver window and look at the pci bus efficiency, it\'s like, dying.....on a p450 with 256 of memory....i don\'t think so).

cue more emails asking when the drivers will be improved - \"we have an asio driver which works with logic audio, please try it\"

yeah, ok, this is where it gets interesting - under the trades description act in the uk, this is where Aardvark specifically broke the law. I\'m in contact with several Logic Audio 4 users, and a few of them are Aark users also. NOT ONE is able to use the asio driver, it\'s simply not functional.

In the local music magazines the Aark 20 and now the 24 are advertised as being ASIO cards. This is like advertising a 1-litre hatchback as being a v8 turbocharged racecar. It\'s frankly bollocks and they know it. And I\'ve said this to the guys in these shops when I\'ve phoned up about other stuff.

----------------

am i waffling?

anyway, Joris, I don\'t think I can be bothered with the hassle of trying to return my card. Although, the faulty sockets (4) on the front would probably be justification enough. Instead, I am going to trade it in against the new Gina. I am also going to make sure that anyone that I know who is in the market for a new audio card knows the facts about the aark cards.

(just remembered another cracker - A guy I spoke to who was having similar problems to me, faxed them about using the card with Reality or some soft synth and the guy who replied said that their \"low-latency\" driver was better than directx anyway so he shouldn\'t need a directx driver. absolutely ****ing incredulous......)

Bob

p.s. you may be able to tell I feel a little passionate about this subject

Well as far as Aardvark\'s \"low latency\" WAV driver, I just bought an Aardvark DirectPro and it is unusable with Reality, about 800 ms latency, not to mention distortion and pops.

But wait, there\'s more! Nemesys has removed the DirectPro from their list of supported cards, guess Aardvark screwed up the Giga interface too. Thank god the thing\'s still under warranty -- back to Guitar Center with it.

Anyone tried the EGOSYS WaveTerminal? It\'s Giga-compatible and Seer raves about it on their site.

Counterpoint...

I recently purchased an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and I must say that I am delighted with the product. The GSIF driver is not yet ready, but as I understand it, the ball is currently in NemeSys\' court.

I have been using the Direct Pro with Samplitude 2496 to do some multitrack recording and have found the Aardvark card and software to be everything they claimed. The 24 bit DACs sound exceptional. The mic inputs are very clean and quiet. With this card in a Compaq 3550, I have a very transportable state-of-the-art DAW.

I have found the company to be extremely helpful when I\'ve had questions, so my rating of their customer service would be very good as well.

Just thought I\'d share another point of view.

Joe Hardy

Counterpoint...

I recently purchased an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and I must say that I am delighted with the product. The GSIF driver is not yet ready, but as I understand it, the ball is currently in NemeSys\' court.

I have been using the Direct Pro with Samplitude 2496 to do some multitrack recording and have found the Aardvark card and software to be everything they claimed. The 24 bit DACs sound exceptional. The mic inputs are very clean and quiet. With this card in a Compaq 3550, I have a very transportable state-of-the-art DAW.

I have found the company to be extremely helpful when I\'ve had questions, so my rating of their customer service would be very good as well.

Just thought I\'d share another point of view.

Joe Hardy

Go Back to forum