• Register
  • Help

Topic: Project SAM Brass advice

Share/Bookmark

Question Project SAM Brass advice

Been checking out a lot of libraries for brass (and chamber strings).

Project SAM brass sounds amazing. Am I correct?

Also, I'm still debating over Giga and Kontakt. Does SAM work okay with GS3 and K2?

Thanks for your hard-earned advice,

brian

Re: Project SAM Brass advice

It doesn't get much better than SAM when it comes to brass samples. The only french horn sampling I've heard anywhere near superior is that of VSL's "Epic Horns," which are also an excellent buy, but are more for a massive french horn sound. Both are worth every penny.

The K2 version allows you to use the random stacc scripts, which really sound great

Here is a little example with all brass from SAM: from 1:09 you can listen the trumpets and horns with random stacc script

http://www.pablodelgado.com/mp3/demowl.mp3

Another vote for SAM- great libs. If you get Solo Sessions you have most basses covered, unless you want the really big Wagner horn sections.

Thumbs up Re: Project SAM Brass advice

Thanks all! This brass library almost sounded "too good" to me upon first reviewing, and still sounds too good this morning. Thanks for backing up my "ears."

And hey, stop sending those links to your sites/music - your making me depressed! I still cannot get over how accomplished some of you are at orchestration and arranging. Great work!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by harleg
    Thanks all! This brass library almost sounded "too good" to me upon first reviewing,
    Don't worry, it *is* as good as that! Awsome libraries.. and you get very professional support, too.

Thanks for these very kind words, guys!

We appreciate this a lot and will try and keep providing you a sound and support level you're used from us.

Maarten Spruijt
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    www.projectsam.com

I have a question for sam solo session users...

Is there a non-vibrato, fanfare-style solo trumpet available? That is, hard attack sustains, and *timbrally/dynamically matched staccatos* to go with it. I have not been able to find any demos of just the trumpet.

Heck, I never hear convincing solo fanfare trumpet in any demos anywhere using anything. I don't mean tiny figures or long held notes, I mean a full-on ripping fanfare melody outlining chord patterns, the whole deal, the kind of thing that real trumpeters can play in their sleep, that are heard all over orchestral pieces past and present.

So far the closest thing I have found is using the Westage free trumpet non vib sustains, along with the FP and the first FPcresc edited into staccatos (alternating between these for repeat notes). This sounds decent, but I'm looking for a chromatically sampled trumpet with more "air".

I am also curious if the solo sessions have a full-on "brassy" fff layer? You know, the kind that you can use for sustained chords at a big climax.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    I have a question for sam solo session users...

Is there a non-vibrato, fanfare-style solo trumpet available? That is, hard attack sustains, and *timbrally/dynamically matched staccatos* to go with it. I have not been able to find any demos of just the trumpet.

I am also curious if the solo sessions have a full-on "brassy" fff layer? You know, the kind that you can use for sustained chords at a big climax.

Thanks!
    Hi Von Richter,

All sustained articulations of our current solo trumpet contain at least a bit of vibrato. Let's say poco vibrato to molto vibrato.

But hard attack solo trumpet sustains are already on the wish list.

Regarding the brassy FFF layer. Especially the horn, trombone, tuba and cimbasso can get pretty FFF in SAM Solo Sessions. The solo trumpet is a more expressive instrument in this version. If you want full-on FFF trumpets I would recommend the trumpet section over the solo trumpet. They work very well for chords too, not just unison lines.

Thanks for the interest!

Maarten Spruijt
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Thanks for the reply, Maarten.

Go Back to forum