• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stanley Organ Voluntary in G

Dublin, Ireland

Stanley Organ Voluntary in G

This is one of the first organ pieces I ever heard, many moons ago, played in my parish church - a voluntary with fugue composed by blind composer John Stanley (1712-1786) who lived in London and was a friend of Handel. I have never heard it performed since, either live or on record. It was written for manuals only, but I have incorporated pedal to give more weight to the lower bass notes - I think the piece can take this. I find it an attractive piece - hope you enjoy it.

Re: Stanley Organ Voluntary in G

A fine piece -- lovely fugue -- and very well rendered, Eugene.

I agree with your editorial addition of pedal; without it, I think it might perhaps sound a bit too thin.

Perhaps Jonathan Orwig, our resident organmaster, will weigh in on this as well:

Unless I am mistaken, it was not uncommon for pieces of this period to be written for the manuals; with the intention that the organist performing the piece would pedal-point it himself, as practical for the instrument at hand.

Good job!

I think David is right - I'm almost certain players would have added pedal notes as available. Most organs of that era in the UK did not have them, though.

Very nice rendition - only one minor quibble - on a real organ the echo passages would likely come off much softer, since the flutes are much less assertive than full organ

Someday we'll have GPOrgan to play with, and I imagine that will not only spur creativity, but also give the opportunity to help folks learn how to write better for the organ. I welcome that eventuality, and plan to offer tips when that time comes

Wine Country, Colorado

This is absolutely superb! The rendering is quite realistic and the performance shows a deep admiration and understanding of the work. BRAVO
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Dublin, Ireland

Smile Re: Stanley Organ Voluntary in G

Here is the Stanley again, but this time with better reverberation (using SIR).
    Thanks to Bill (Valhalx) for pointing me in the right direction.

Go Back to forum