• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stable Software Samplers for MAC

Share/Bookmark

Stable Software Samplers for MAC

What is a stable software sampler for Mac and one that will bring the best out of a piano sampers programing.

I'm really sick and tired of Native Instruments Kontakt intruments and all their authorizations - every time I mess with my computer I'm off to authorize again. Heck, this last time I changed ram and NI told me that was the reason my NI Bosendorfer was not working - after all day reloading programs and being on tech support - it still does not work. That's what you call a PAIN-o sample.

So... any samplers for MAC LOGIC 7 out there that do not require the authorization dance.

Re: Stable Software Samplers for MAC

Well, if you do not like Kontakt you might want to stick with exs (depending on your version of Logic is is included anyways, is efficient and stable - but is missing some fancy but instable stuff Kontakt offers).

I keep coming back to exs again and again - because sometimes, between handling bugs (Kontakt) it is just nice to play some music.

best

Quote Originally Posted by steff3
    Well, if you do not like Kontakt you might want to stick with exs (depending on your version of Logic is is included anyways, is efficient and stable - but is missing some fancy but instable stuff Kontakt offers).

I keep coming back to exs again and again - because sometimes, between handling bugs (Kontakt) it is just nice to play some music.

best
    LOL..... ....Boy i was just about to order .

Seriously, i'll order it anyway but it's kind of , cross my finger.

Quote Originally Posted by piano
    So... any samplers for MAC LOGIC 7 out there that do not require the authorization dance.
    I agree with steff3 about EXS, but if you're looking for something else, I would suggest HALion or MachFive. They both use dongles, so you can make all the system changes you want, and you'll still be able to work as long as you have the dongle plugged in. Of course, it's hard to beat the scripting in Kontakt...

(Note: I hope we don't start another copy protection argument here. Sigh...)

Edit: It really is best to choose your sample library first, before you choose your sampler...

EXS may not have as many features as Kontakt but the others are right when it comes to just being able to play and not worry about it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by re-peat
    Stay away from Halion. In fact, stay away from all things that carry the Steinberg-name, especially on Mac. They give you nothing but irritation, frustration and despair. (Besides, you'd need a dongle and go through the whole Synchrosoft-routine which is just as bad as anything that NI asks you to do.)
    Wow... Have you actually had these problems yourself? I've actually had fewer problems with Cubase SX than I have with Digital Performer and I've never had any problems with HALion... I just transferred a couple licenses between two of my Synchrosoft dongles with absolutely no problems! (So I can run Scarbee Imperial Drums XL on a separate computer from the Vintage Keyboards.) I HAVE had a couple glitches with my iLoks, but those are (simply/strangely?) solved by rebooting my computer and then going back to ilok.com...

Piano,

EXS is the obvious answer.

_
    If you only uses 32 vertical zones (like 16 velocities+16 release velocities) maybe - but if you need more than this - and a precise editing it is no good - and it's Logic only.

Stay away from Halion. In fact, stay away from all things that carry the Steinberg-name, especially on Mac. They give you nothing but irritation, frustration and despair. (Besides, you'd need a dongle and go through the whole Synchrosoft-routine which is just as bad as anything that NI asks you to do.)_
    hmm. I will not comment on this...
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Quote Originally Posted by SCARBEE
    If you only uses 32 vertical zones (like 16 velocities+16 release velocities) maybe - but if you need more than this - and a precise editing it is no good - and it's Logic only.
    Thomas, he specifically asked about a sampler for Logic. And Redmatica's soon to be released Keymap is about to make editing for the EXS24 very powerful indeed. As for the velocity issues, well, it is what it is.

Also, it is by far the most cpu efficient sampler out there.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Oh dear, this thread isn't looking that promising...

I'm a Halion 2 user, and am seriously thinking of migrating to Kontakt 2, purely for using with my Piano libraries alone. - Although I haven't had any specific problems with Halion, I don't have any of the scripting features available that Kontakt does, in order to enhance the realism. I feel left behind with Halion's feature-set. I know Halion 3 is better, but still way behind Kontakt 2 in terms of it's 'programability'. EXS24 isn't a viable option as I use Cubase - although I'm sure it probably is the most efficient sampler on the Mac, as Apple are the only people who seem interested in optimising software for the Mac platform fully.

I'm not sure what the current state of Mach 5 is, but a while back a sales rep tried to win me over - even though I told him I was interested in running massive piano libraries and needed Direct from Disk streaming which Mach 5 didn't support.

EXS is the obvious answer. ...
    Stay away from Halion. In fact, stay away from all things that carry the Steinberg-name, especially on Mac. They give you nothing but irritation, frustration and despair. (Besides, you'd need a dongle and go through the whole Synchrosoft-routine which is just as bad as anything that NI asks you to do.)

_
    ditto what he said.
    JP

Go Back to forum