• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finalist A - Greg Smith (ConwayLemmon)

17 45.95%
  • Finalist B - Chris Bassett (CallMeZoot)

20 54.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

Share/Bookmark

Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

The two finalists have been chosen for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize, and it's time for your vote. The theme for this edition of the contest was "Bittersweet," and the contestants were given specific guidelines in this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41790

You have until March 31 to vote for your favorite work.

Finalist A - Greg Smith (ConwayLemmon)
    Alone Together
    http://streaming.broadjam.com/upload...770_209256.mp3

Finalist B - Chris Bassett (CallMeZoot)

This Place I Used to Call Home
    http://www.uglybassett.com/msc/basse...calledhome.mp3

Congratulations to the finalists!

- Jamie Kowalski

Re: Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

Congrats to Chris and Greg, and indeed to all those who participated in this very worthwhile exercise.
    Jamie must be ecstatic with the amazing quality of the work presented.

I have found it delightful, to hear music of a more challenging nature, being actively encouraged on this forum. It just goes to show that "The Hollywood Sound". aint the only game in town.

I am lost in admiration at the exquisite writing found in these 2 Final Pieces.Though using a modern language, these pieces are very engaging, with a strong desire to communicate, and evident sincerity.
    As a composer myself, it fills me with optimism, to hear challenging modern music, with so much to say.

Regards Joe

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

Here are the two write ups I had on our finalists, pulled from another thread. Let the words sway your decision or not, as you see fit. If you have time, listen to them each at least twice before you decide--these works reveal even more upon subsequent visits.

Greg Smith (ConwayLemmon) - Alone Together
    This little gem is in ABA form, with a free-flowing gentle middle section sitting nicely between the outer more tense sections. The opening chords are like pin pricks of light giving a gentle shock to the listener, followed by a slow relaxation. Perfect miniature moments of tension and release. It sets one into a cautious and expectant mood, which is the perfect emotional placemat for what follows. A lyrical violin melody emerges from the texture, then winds us down and prepares us for the middle section.

The center is what it's all about here. The sweet improvisational feel, soft rhythms, and beautiful phrasing of the vibes and harp are truly what makes this piece work for me. The tuba and violin sit far back as accompaniment, and play an essential though very reserved structural role.

The return of the sharp sounds of the opening bring the piece to a finish. This time, just a little more relaxed, and a little less prickly.

The theme "Bittersweet" was well presented here. The entire piece was a sweet center wrapped in a bitter outer layer, with just a little spillover from section to section. All together extremely satisfying!
    Chris Bassett (CallMeZoot) - This Place I Used to Call Home
    I love the humor in this piece, but it is no way the predominant feeling. It's more of the "isn't it funny..." variety one might experience when recalling a memory of mixed emotion. It opens with a crazy accelerating violin pizzicato motive that uses reverb and delay very effectively. It is imitated somewhat in the vibraphone, as the harp and bass flute build us up to the main section. The bends in the flute are very nice.

As motion begins to build up, a smoky muted trumpet enters, bringing a nice melancholy improvised jazz feel to the work. The melodies and textures here are beautiful and haunting. Listen for the continued violin pizzicato motive here, as it sneaks in the background, this time beginning quickly and slowing over time. The juxtaposition of in-time and out-of-time works perfectly in this context. The melody winds down, and we end in a soft rumbly cloud of clustered harp notes.

This piece is very evocative, and the loose non-functional harmonies and dream-like sounds are fantastic!
    Both of these are wonderful pieces, and I'm very happy to have been in some small way a part of their reason to exist. I consider this experiment a success, and will be announcing the second edition on April 1st, so if you missed this one, please join us for part 2!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thumbs up Re: Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

WOW! Talk about taxing the brain cells too early in the morning! I'm going to have to listen to both quite a few times before I make a decision. Hm, Man! Awesome writing gents!
    Styxx

Why do you make this so difficult!

Two entirely different genres, two fantastic pieces musically, two absolutely wonderful mixes. They are both winners in my book. Not to mention the others that were considered. What a tough job you must have had Jamie! Better you than some of the rest of us.

Thanks for the final two very inspirational works.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I have downloaded the two final compositions and after listening to them, I was wondering if it would be possible to post the original rules for the competition with this thread? It might have an influence on the voting.
    Regards, John

Alrighty then, it's time for me to make my final decision after several days listening during moments of complete solitude.
    Fist off, both compositions were extremely well written and effectively portrayed the theme requested "Bittersweet." Honestly, if it were up to me I would call it a tie. No shirt, just a tie. Anywhodaheckwasdat, it's time for me to vote (as if my vote will determine the outcome ). I vote for, for, wait ... for ... no, noweasynowwatchitnowwait ... don'tgotoofartoofasttoosoon, for ... ah yes, me ... no wait ...
    Good luck Greg and Chris you two are certainly perspiring composers! OK, OK ... inspiring.
    Styxx

Exclamation Re: Poll: Cast your vote for the All Hands/GPO New Music Prize

Correct me if I am way off base here. There have been 265 views to this post and only 16 votes? No? Yes? Ezz me crazy cause I can't see now that I scwewed up me monitor resolution so that I can't make out the print? Yes? Vote! Ezz excellent compositions here, VOTE!
    Styxx

It's a toss-up.

They're both too darned good to choose one or the other.

I therefore voted twice.

Great job on these, both!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Oh dear, to see a dead-heat of 14 to 14 immediately after my vote is quite telling!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum