• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Concerto Project - Part 2b

The Concerto Project - Part 2b

I've just uploaded another in a series of tryout passages done as studies for a planned mockup of my Second Piano Concerto. Here is:

Part 2b (GOS, SAM, GPO, etc.) This is a mock-up of the first orchestral entrance, which follows an extended piano solo. The solo piano is the PMI Bosendorfer (played from a MIDI file recorded by my wife Martha, for whom the concerto was written). Woodwinds are GPO, brass and timpani are Project SAM, and strings are a mixture of GOS layered with some chamber strings from Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Strings (mainly in the marcato passages).

For comparison, here is Part 2a. This was done with the PMI Bosendorfer as the solo piano, and the orchestral parts were done entirely with GPO. (Part 1 was just the opening passage of the concerto).

I"m still trying different things out, and will soon post yet another version of the same passage realized with EWQLSO Gold. Meanwhile, I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: The Concerto Project - Part 2b

Nice composition. Piano sounds very good, but honestly, the winds and brass sound really synthy to me. Strings aren't too bad. Look forward to the gold version.

Traverse Bay

I thought this was a nice bit.

Sounded improvisational with a good natural flow. Always glad to hear "real life" comparisons of available libraries.

Nice one Dan. Part 2b is definitely an improvement sound wise from 2a. I can't wait to hear the Gold rendition!!

Thanks for your comments. I do agree that the brass could use a little more attention. There are a couple of places where I used marcato articulations where, after listening to it a few times, I think staccato would have worked better. Also I could work on CC#11 a bit more.

On 2b, I tried a more elaborate setup for reverb, routing audio tracks through several buses and adding reverb as a send effect. I'm not sure that I've nailed it yet, but it's an improvement.

I'd like to try this out with some of the new Westgate woodwinds, when they become available. I have a feeling they'd blend well with GPO.

Once I do a few more of these tryouts, with various combinations of libraries, I plan to go back and start over from scratch. I welcome any more suggestions and comments in the meantime.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Part 2B is more fluid. Remind me a Vaughn Williams piece I love. Very original and dynamic. Handle with care , you have a gem in your hands.

Go Back to forum