• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture SE percussion question

Share/Bookmark

Overture SE percussion question

I'm trying to figure out how to change the length of a note on a percussion staff. Right now all notes appear as eighth notes and I can't seem to change the duration of the notes. I've tried keyswitching between (C)single hits and (D)playable rolls, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Also tried cc21 (Length) controller, but that didn't seem to work either.

I'm trying to get a tamborine shake for a full 4 beats. As of yet, I haven't stumbled across how to do that.

I looked at the Overture tutorial on the forum, but didn't see a solution there. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Re: Overture SE percussion question

Can you send me an example file? I don't think I've ever encountered this before. The duration should be applied like it would on any other staff when using the mouse to enter the notes.

Hi Joseph,

Not sure exactly what it is you want me to post?
    The percussion track? Or just a measure or two on the track?
    Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

KBH123, How are you notating the roll? Can you post a pic of just the measures in question?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by KBH123
    Hi Joseph,

Not sure exactly what it is you want me to post?
    The percussion track? Or just a measure or two on the track?
    You can email me just an excerpt of the file containing the issue you are discussing here. It is hard to conceptualize the issue (since I haven't encountered it myself) without being able to see it.

joseph (at) geniesoft.com

Sorry Styxx...but I'm not sure how to post a pic on this forum....?
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Well, there are several way of writing hand rolls, finger rolls, and thumb rolls for the tambourine. I figured to see what you wrote and make sure the notation is correct to begin with. Probably is and it's more of an editing factor in Overture. I would send Joseph Burrell a pic of the score section in question and if you can a midi file. J.B. is quite capable of helping you with Overture issues. Overture is a very strong notational program and versatile! Have you thought of upgrading to Overture 4?
    Styxx

Actually this is my first exposure to Overture. I've never used it before but since it (the SE version) came with the version of GPO I bought, I thought I'd give it a try. I like it so far. I'm an old trumpet player from way back in the 70s & 80s (my old Jr High/High school marching band days, that is ) and for me a notation program is a lot simpler to understand than some of the sequencer programs (Sonar v4 is what I've been using).

What are the major differences between the SE version and version 4?
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

KBH123,
    How have you made out with this?
    Styxx

I sent a copy of the percussion track in an .ove file to Joseph.
    So far he hasn't figured it out. He said he would keep working on it.

So do you use overture (SE or the full version)?
    If so, is it simpler to use than a sequencer? Right now, I'm using Sonar Producer Ed.4, but I like the simplistic user interface of overture SE.

I'm just not sure I will have the same level of control as far as being able to tweak the instrument sounds in SE as I do in Sonar.
    ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Go Back to forum