• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm having difficulties with this whole "Samples" thing....

Share/Bookmark

I'm having difficulties with this whole "Samples" thing....

Is it just me?... but i can't seem to load more than 4-5 GPO samples at a time.!

My system is decent: intel 3.4 mhz, with 2 gigs of ram, and the latency (Delta44 card) is set as low as it can go... The samples themselves are dry, but still, In Cubase SL: after a piano, harp, wind and a few solo strings loaded into a single Kontak player... it's crackling like mad!

I've searched through various tutorials and witness loading dozen of solo string sections in, for instance, to achieve a fuller string orchestral sound.

If can't even get a few in... how could i possibly achieve this?

Am i missing something?

How many samples can realistically be loaded at one time?

~jeff

Re: I'm having difficulties with this whole "Samples" thing....

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    the latency (Delta44 card) is set as low as it can go...
    Try increasing your latency.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Set high?

I've always read that it's set high for playback, and low during playing..

I''m still using my external synths, and find that a high setting causes distortion while i play.

Still, I've noticed that even a middle setting is far more efficient.

thanks Richard, for the latency direction.

I would like to know however, how many samples can reasonably be loaded
    (while playing)

... just to compare.

I typically load almost complete orchestras on one P4 2.8 GHz machine with 2 GB of memory. I've had up to 12 instances loaded without crackling. Sometimes I need to freeze harp and timpani parts but the rest play in realtime.

2 other sounds besides sound card buffers being set to low is the Kontakt player doesn't like multi-threading enabled and DFD can also cause issues plus higher CPU usuage. GPO doesn't need DFD and it's recommended to not use it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I typically load almost complete orchestras on one P4 2.8 GHz machine with 2 GB of memory. I've had up to 12 instances loaded without crackling. Sometimes I need to freeze harp and timpani parts but the rest play in realtime.

2 other sounds besides sound card buffers being set to low is the Kontakt player doesn't like multi-threading enabled and DFD can also cause issues plus higher CPU usuage. GPO doesn't need DFD and it's recommended to not use it.

Jim
    DFD? What is that and how is it turned off?

Thanks Haydn

...You're able to get 12 instances?!

that's fairly decent... certainly better than the 4-5 samples i'm currently getting.
    However setting my latency has made a significant improvement.

I'll have to see how many samples i'm able to load, while still maintaining reasonable recording performance.

~jeff

Tom,

DFD is under the options menu. I'm at my work computer so I don't have it in front of me. After shutting off DFD, you'll need to reload the samples.

Jim

Go Back to forum