• Register
  • Help

Topic: Realistic audio to digital conversion

Share/Bookmark

Realistic audio to digital conversion

Does anyone out there have evidence of a sound card, preferably but not necessarily Giga compatable, that really can convert audio sources such as vocals to digital well enough that the end result sounds like the source or is it only an electronic musician\'s dream? It gets discouraging when I come up with a great Giga mix only to have the song ruined by crummy vocals. I can\'t afford $3,000 for Apogee Rosetta.

Re: Realistic audio to digital conversion

One of the things that I like so much about my Aark 20/20 is that it is very musical. What I mean is that when listening to recordings or playing back GS mixes, I become very involved with the music as opposed to sitting back and listening analytically or having my attention wander away from the music, like with most other AD/DA\'s. The effect is subtle, but not unnoticeable.

You can find out more about the latest version, the Aark 24/24 at http://www.aardvark-pro.com which, by the way, is GSIF compliant.

A decent microphone helps too. Poke around www.homerecording.com for idea.

Well guys, for starters thanks for the reply. In terms of microphones, I am using a Rode NT1 which isn\'t a Neuman but it is supposed to be pretty decent. I am using a Lexicon Core2 sound card which I have really grown to hate because Lexicon refuses to support Gigasampler thus I have to use a Yamaha Sound Crown for Giga which I might add really works well. The guys really blasted the Aardvark on this site over the past couple of months which steered me away from purchasing one. Most of my recording problems in terms of vocals probably are a result of mic placement and recording too hot etc. (MY FAULT) but I remeber recording with a Gina 20 bit card and getting much more realistic results that with the Lexicon Core2 which leads me to believe that just because a card is advertised as 24\\96 doesn\'t mean that it produces better results except maybe on paper. I\'ll try tweaking things a bit during my next session and see what happens and keep my eyes open for a deal on Gina or Layla 24 which should be released soon.

Check out the M Audio Delta 1010. 24 bit. Sounds much better than the Aardvark and I know because I have both.

Bob

>>>>
    The guys really blasted the Aardvark on this site over the past couple of months which steered me away from purchasing one.
    <<<<

That would be the Aardvark Direct-Pro which apparently has a number of driver problems and a few hardware incompatabilities. The 20/20, 20/20+, and 24/24 series all seem to be rock solid cards, in both mine and many others experiences.

>>>>
    Check out the M Audio Delta 1010. 24 bit. Sounds much better than the Aardvark and I know because I have both.
    <<<<

Hey Bob, is that the Aark 20/20, 20/20+, or 24/24? Or is it the Direct-Pro? And are you comparing the same bit rates? I\'m looking to upgrade to 24/96 and the Delta 10/10 is a consideration. What specifically do you like about it over the Aardvark and what material are you using to compare? And are you refering to recording, playback of prerecorded material, or as an entire system -- i.e. A/D, D/A in one unit? Sorry for all the questions.

Go Back to forum