• Register
  • Help

Topic: MAc G5 HD set up

Share/Bookmark

MAc G5 HD set up

How are most DP Mac G5 users doing SATA HD, size and number of HD for composing and recording audio. And of course playing back 15+ audio and 15-20 audio instruments.

With the 160GB SATA already included...if I get a 2nd drive: 250-500 GB SATA will I be fine running Gold, GPO, EXS-24, Stylus, Trilogy AND audio tracks off the same drive?

Should I run GPO, for example or Gold library off the 160 GB system drive just to spread things out a little?

Or do you recommend getting more than 2 drives?

My demands are not huge (i.e. lots of orchestra) but from time to time I might be running Stylus, Trilogy and some orch. as well as Logic's internal synths...And plug-ins

What are otehr G5 DualProcessor users doing?

FYI, my refurb will be the older DP 2.0 with PCI-X and 8 RAM slots model.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Re: MAc G5 HD set up

Hi Steve,

It looks like I have a very similar set up as you do with Logic 7 running on a dual 2 Ghz and 2.5 gig ram. I use the Bosendorfer sample set and EWQL Gold.

I've been running audio off my OS drive - it craps out when I hit it with fast arpeggios with the Bosendorfer.

I just put in a new drive in - 7200 Western Digital SATA drive. The box says it sucks 300 mb a second off the drive. Well, it is better. I can run the bosendofer now.

However, I still get clicks when I put the instrument through fast runs.

So.... unless the new 10,000 Raptor Drive from Western Digital is loud or sounds like a jet engine, I'll be taking the 7200 drive back.

The caveat is that the 10,000 Raptor only goes to 74 gig and you can get a lot more space for your money for the 7200 drives.

Thanks for your reply, piano.

Here's a great place to find fast drives.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard68.html

I'm looking at a 3 drive solution just to do it right in the beginning
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Hi Steve and anyone else that needs this kind of info,

I have a Mac G5 dual 2Ghz with a stock 160 7200? SATA drive.

I just put a new 74 Gig 10,000 Western Digital Raptor Drive in bay two of my Mac. This is the fastest solution I know of.

The good news: It works fairly well. It's also quiet --- no whiring like a jet engine. Actually very quiet. Except a few quiet clicks made when writing or reading. I have tested up to 12 tracks of audio East West Gold instruments with a heavy load of notes. It works flawlessly. It looks like I could add another 12 and still not have any problems --- but then perhaps someone else will try that.

The bad news: There is STILL room for improvement. The EastWest PMI Bosendorfer instrument is the most disk intensive instrument I've come across. I can still get clicks and pops if I use both palms and vigorously play both hands back and forth - a torture test to be sure. But this is one of the fastest Macs to come along with the fastest SATA drive out there - I should be able to do whatever I want to now and have no glitches.

Eastwest recommends as their high end system 8 (gads!) networked G5's all with secondary 10,000 rpm drives and maximum ram.

Ok... that's what..... $19,000+ in cash outlay for a system - that will be worth very little of that in 4 years. In my estimation, you should be making at least 5 - 10 times that a year for such an investment.

So... I believe that getting East West Gold and one loaded Mac is the best cost effective solutions.

Good to know. That's why once my G5 gets here, I'm NOT discarding my XP machine ; ) I have thouyght about it to recoup some cost but
    I just have a funny feeling it will come in handy taking some of the load...even with a three HD set-up as I will do (2 SATA and 1 FW 800).

System 160 GB
    Audio 250 GB
    Samples 250 GB (FW 800)
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Go Back to forum