• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Again, not working - state of EMERGENCY

Share/Bookmark

Again, not working - state of EMERGENCY

Well people, how saw my posts since end of last year knows I had a lot of trouble with my new DAW.

My setup:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    1gb RAM OCZ
    2x80gb IDE Maxtor
    2x200gb SATA Maxtor

Well, last time it was crashing (about 2 and a half months ago), I simply couldn't boot. I can't remember what I did exactly so it started to work again, but it was working fine, until yesterday.

Yesterday I tried to apply that Windows hot fix for dual core. Most people said it was OK. I did it. Windows was going to restart and never started up again.

It couldn't boot, I tried to fixboot, fixmbr, bootcfg, everything. Nothing.

I tried to install Windows over this install. It had many problems in the installation and couldn't work again.

Then, my friend told me and I did a low level format on my HDD using a Maxtor tool. It was ok. Then, I used PM5 to create a valid active NTFS partition. It was ok. But when I enter XP install application, it didn't recognize my partition!!! And asks if I want to format as a NTFS or NTFS (quickly).

When that happened, I used the PM5 tool again. But Windows just didn't want to recognize it. OK, I letted Windows to create the NTFS. But all the errors happened again.

What the hell is happening? What can be wrong?

I can think of: Motherboard, motherboard connectors, IDE cables.

Can't think of anything else. When Windows was on, it was just perfect. The problem happens when I try to boot.

What do you recommend me, guys? What can I try? I have only 8 more days of motherboard warranty and I think I should exchange it (actually, trade it for another board). What do you think? Actually, I did buy Gigabyte K8NS Ultra, but it became unavailable... I know there are all this PCI-E issues, so what should I do? Stick with A8V Deluxe?

Please, some advice... I need to solve this now, I had too much work to finish last week...
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Again, not working - state of EMERGENCY

I use an A8V Deluxe M/B as well. I had lots of difficulties in the beginning to set it up even with my Athlon 64 3000+. Setting up the raid drivers was a pain. This board is quite sensitive to ACPI setup, memory brand name and so forth. But once you get all that squared away, it runs quite well. But again I can only speak of non dual core systems

Things to consider.

Are you running XP home or Pro. Dual core I think may requires XP Pro. Again I am not 100% sure if it dual core or dual CPU.

Get the Via raid drivers (VT8237)from VIA site, the ones in the ASUS site are extremely outdated.

Have you tried to install Windows on the other 80GB drive you have?

Rob

ddarwin7,

Thanks for the tips. I realized this mobo is really sensitive, but far more than any other I've ever used. Many people here (who aren't audio guys) told me this mobo sucks. But then again, the dilema of other good nforce 3 (or similar) mobos... since nforce 4 is no good for me. But now I'm asking, is it still not good?

robh, no, I haven't (because it's full of important data). But the problem is not in the HDD, I'm pretty sure.

Hey, I finally managed to install it... I used a third copy of Windows XP Pro, then it went ok (I couldn't finish the install because I had to go out, but I'll see it tonight). But Windows was working anyway, it did stop because of the hotfix. Don't know why.
    Wormhole Studios

There is definitely some problem with your hardware. Did you install both power connectors from the PS to the mobo? There's the main rectangular one, and a smaller square one that goes near the CPU.

-JF

Hi Jon. Yes, I agree with you, but I have no clue on what can be wrong with my system.
    I'm sure my PSU is correctly installed, with both connectors. I even changed my Enermax 365 to a 465, as you recommended me earlier.

Now I could install Windows, it was really a disc problem. But then again, I don't know why sometimes my system simply couldn't boot. Of all my system components, the only one I think may be causing any problem is the board or the cables included. Just my guess.

You use it too... did you have any kind of problem with it? Or boot issues...
    Wormhole Studios

I have the same RAM and mobo, but I have never had the problems that you describe - after I connected the second power supply connector.

Have you tried slowing the clock speed in the BIOS? My processor is only a 3000+, which runs much slower than yours. Hopefully that will solve it. I'm sure that you would sacrifice some performance for 100% stability.

Best of luck!

-JF

Hi people.

Jon: I haven't, but do you think it may be the cause? I tried other mem brands on it, and much slower before (512mb ddr 266mhz), with same problem.

UPDATE:

Trouble again. Well, I'm trying to resume everything is happening now. Each time I have better clues on what's happening.

Well, the main problem is: It doesn't boot, but some times it does. When it's on Windows, it's wonderful. No problem. When I restart, it doesn't boot again.

PROBLEMS (not in this order - no logical order):

1. When I start the machine, sometimes it takes a while to detect the primary IDE HDD.

2. When it's supposed to show the Windows XP loading screen, it keep blinking the little white dash or display a message saying that there's no boot. (THIS IS THE BIG PROBLEM)

3. A few times I got a error regarding a problem in: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

--------------

But then again, sometimes it does work. I found a post in another forum (I'll try to post the link here later) from a guy with the same mobo than mine and problem. He said the problem was in the PSU connector or the terminal in the HDD. He plugged it again and it worked. I do that A LOT and sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

SYMPTOMS:

1. My primary IDE HDD appears with a strange name.

I have identicals IDE HDD (primary master and slave).

In the very first screen, it appears the name of HDDs detected. Sometimes it appears like this:

Code:
    Pri Master: Maxtor (6Y080L0( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( YAZ49B_0
    Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. Cabacle and Status OK

Pri Slave: Maxtor 6Y080L0 YAR41BW0
    Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK

When this happens, my master appears like this:

Code:
    Device: Hard Disk
    Vendor: Maxtor (6Y080L0( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (
    Size: 81.9 GB
    LBA Mode: Supported
    Block Mode: 16Sectores
    PIO Mode: Not Supported
    Async DMA: MultiWord DMA-0
    Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA-6
    SMART Monitoring: Supported

Type: Auto
    LBA/Large Mode: Auto
    Block(Multi-sector transfer Mode): Auto
    PIO Mode: Auto
    DMA Mode: UDMA6
    SMART Monitoring: Auto
    32Bit Data Transer: Disabled

This is how it should appear in the BIOS (my slave appears like this):

Code:
    Device: Hard Disk
    Vendor: Maxtor (6Y080L0
    Size: 81.9 GB
    LBA Mode: Supported
    Block Mode: 16Sectores
    PIO Mode: 4
    Async DMA: MultiWord DMA-2
    Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA-6
    SMART Monitoring: Supported

Type: Auto
    LBA/Large Mode: Auto
    Block(Multi-sector transfer Mode): Auto
    PIO Mode: Auto
    DMA Mode: Auto
    SMART Monitoring: Auto
    32Bit Data Transer: Disabled
    PS: Even when I put the DMA Mode in Auto, it still happens (it wasn't me who changed it).

As you can see, the name appears in a very strange way.

2. The computer can't recognize the IDE primary slave.

Sometimes it happens. When I try to re plug the connectors and enter in the BIOS Setup several times, it may appear again.

3. When I start the computer (very few times) I may get the message:

Code:
    Overclocking failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system.
    Press F1 to Run SETUP
    Press F2 to load default values and continue

---------------------------

When it works and Windows is operational, I try to keep the system on, so I don't need to work it out again. But today, when I got at the computer, I saw a blue screen error (the first in this setup):

Code:
    KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

PartMgr.sys - Address F7865B50 base at F7864000, DateStamp 3b7dc5a7

Well, don't know what else to do. Change the HDD? The Mobo? IDE cables? PSU?

Actually, I bet it's not my PSU. I tried TWO Enermax, and both were correctly connected.

Maybe the HDD? Well, if it is it's problem, why sometimes, when it does boot, Windows and my programs work perfectly?

Sorry about this long post, people. But I think it may also help other people out there. And thanks for all your support.
    Wormhole Studios

At this point, I'd change out the mobo.

Best of luck. You deserve to have a fully working system!

-JF

Thanks Jon, for your suggestion and all your support.

I'm only afraid of that old Nforce3 issue... shall I move to Nforce 4 or not? What kind of issue could I have with my Audiophile 2496?
    Wormhole Studios

Go Back to forum