• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First GPO piece.

Share/Bookmark

First GPO piece.

Well, here goes!

This is the final part of my then unfinished first Orchestral Suite "Alaska" originally composed in 1994. While reinterpreting my original work using GPO, I composed this final piece completing the suite using only GPO.

MP3

Criticism or comments very welcome.
    Thanks,
    Todd
    Last edited by myndthegap; 03-29-2006 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added MP3 link

Re: First GPO piece.

Okay Todd, when does the movie come out! It sounds like a great National Geographic movie score.

I like the crescendo and strings at 1:12 and again at 3:44. Very tasteful. However, you mentioned that this was part of a suite, last movement. Where's the rest. I think all of us here would enjoy the whole Suite.

Thanks for sharing, I wish my first attempt was as great as this one (or even my last attempt ).

Great Job!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Any download link for us poor dial-up enthusiasts?

Alaska - I want to hear it!

YBaCuO

Talking Re: First GPO piece.

Rich,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. The rest is coming soon! I'm still tweaking things on 2 of the more complicated parts. GPO is a real challenge sometimes, but worth it.

Thanks again.
    Todd.

Wink Re: First GPO piece.

Sorry YBaCuO! I'll post it tonight.
    Todd

Great work!

I agree it has a film epic-ness to it.
    Nice memorable melody.!
    and a great mix!... very seamless.

My only critique was the sudden volume increase at 1:12... Love the increase, but perhaps a touch high for the softer intro. (but that's just my ears!)

nice job!

~jeff

A warm welcome to the forum, Todd!

There is some excellent writing in this -- and you've clearly already achieved a great degree of control over the GPO and rendering.

However, I would suggest you rethink the management of the dynamics, throughout. It's the single weakness in otherwise very compelling writing.

Todd, I sincerely hope you will come back to us with the completed version of this. Though only a small part of a larger work, I hear tremendous promise in it... fully commensurate with the grandeur and majesty of its subject.

Show us Alaska, Todd!

With my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool Re: First GPO piece.

David & Jeff.

Thanks for the support! I see your point on the dynamics and I thought the same thing - it does sort of "knock you flat" at first listen. Although that aspect has a certain amount of charm for me personally, it is is a bit extreme and I will work on the balance a bit more. Interestingly enough, this balance is pretty much from GPO out of the box.

As promised previously here is a link to the MP3.
    More to follow as time allows.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by myndthegap
    As promised previously here is a link to the MP3.
    More to follow as time allows.

Todd
    Thanks, Todd.

Todd, just as a procedural note, when you add an additional link or update like that, I might suggest editing your very first post, and indicating that you have done so, there, too.

That way, everyone sees it, soon as they hit the thread.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Red face Re: First GPO piece.

David,

Thinking a bit more about your critique of the dynamics - I respect your opinion immensely on this so please be a candid as you can.

The extremes at the 2 timpani roll crescendos are the main points of focus immediately for me. Are there some other dynamics you would recommend I adjust? Are there some specific dynamic changes that would increase the realism of the instruments? I'm still learning the GPO technique so please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Todd

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast