• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Choirs - Tell me what you want

Orcas Island

Garritan Choirs - Tell me what you want

In the Garritan Forum someone started a thread asking about Garritan Choirs. http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43811
    I asked in that thread would people like to see in a Choir package and many responded.

If you could have the ultimate heavenly choir collection, what would you like to see? Sections or Ensemble building? Wordbuilding utility (similar EW) or Vocoder (similar to Vocaloid or Roland)? Traditional choir or non-traditional? Solos? Large or small choirs? or both?

We have developed some impressive technology that I think will advance the art. We are now planning the recordings.

I thought I would ask here and get your input first.

Let's dream a little and discuss what YOU want and what the ultimate choir library can be.

Gary Garritan

Re: Garritan Choirs - Tell me what you want

I would LOVE to purchase a choir collection that was (A) affordable, (B) had many elements of packages like Voices of the Apocalypse, EWQLSC, etc. and also contained Enya-like and soloist performances that I can layer over my tracks. Of course, a word builder program would be amazing for a men's and women's choir - but I am sure all of that would cost a fortune!

Lately, my use has become more pop / dance / techno / industrial and instrumental oriented and less symphonic. However, I will turn right around and create a more cinematic piece - so my needs vary while my pocket remains quite empty!

Lastly, it should play like your orchestra product - nicely on a reasonable computer, unlike EWQLSC that needs a totally decked-out monster computer to use properly.

I hope in some small way this helps. However, with your solid reputation and pricing structure for past products, I would certainly purchase this if it followed suit.

[edit] I just read the previous post you linked to - one thing I would love to see is your choir product interact with GPO (and then I would buy GPO for sure to use them together) - that would be amazing. For example, wall of sound presets, chamber strings with soloists, choir with full orchestra - the possibilities would be endless! Please make sure they use Kontakt 2 in some form or their own special player, as I do not have giga or other samplers.

This is really great Gary - I hope this comes to fruition in whatever forms.

The ability to have 4 voices, 8, 16, 32 & 64 voices per part to be able to create any size from chamber up to choral society and Mahler 8 size.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

As far as I am concerned : Huge Epic sound, very strong fff (almost shouting), especially tenor and soprano. Legatoscripting. Some kind of wordbuilder if possible, but not too heavy ramwise (not that you'll need a DAW per section in the end). No separation between Altos/sopranos Tenor/Basses (to keep it smaller and more usable).

French word builer !!!

Orcas Island

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT
    French word builer !!!

Decatur Illinois

I think word building is the standard now. It would be hard to be competetive without it I think. The idea of an ensemble builder seems awesome too. Obviously male, female, and children's choirs. Soloists too. I think patches that can crossfade from one syllable to another would be very cool. Maybe with a feature to drag and drop different vowel sounds into different sections of the modwheel would be cool. Phrases are cool if you can use them but I find it hard to use the ones in SOV due to the strict tempo thing. And I'm thinking to record dry so as to match GPO. Just a thought. Oh yeah, and give it a heavy Gary and Tom factor. That usually weighs in heavy favor of most libraries that I have with it. Also, before you record, I find it to be a good thing to make sure that the "Suck" fader is pulled all the way down on the input channel you are using to record. That's all I got for now. Cant wait for GPC. Available in 100s, lights, and menthol.

And what about Italian WB, Gary?

Anyway I think that the four separate choirs is a MUST!
    Every single voice has its particular timber!
    And of course one important thing is the range extension of the choirs!!!!!!

I am really fascinated by the potential role and use of the K2 scripts for human voice! if this would be applicable to the Garritan Choir I think it will be great surely!!

About the WB.... this is a very huge question. I mean now we already have choir that can sing words, so one could see that it is a MUST for all the incoming choirs libraries, but I know that is really expensive to develop somethin like that. So the cost is really important as well.
    But I think that for a Gary choir singing real words and maybe with a K2 scripts that can make the sounds of the voices more real I am ready to pay $1,000!

I don't know about the solo singers, we have already very good libraries, see Bela D Media!!

So..... these are my two cents!!!

Best to you Gary,

Sections and Ensemble building If only one, then Ensemble building

Wordbuilding utility (with some good latin mass ability)

Traditional choir focus with prehaps some additional vocal sounds

Both Large and small choirs If only one then small choirs

maybe integrate with BelaDMedia's Giovani

This would be fantastic!!!!!

1) The sound. Listen to the demos from your users. It's mostly traditional. Maybe you should lean more towards Mozart than Orff.

2) Section builder. You've already established this in GPO. Stick with your strengths.

3) Low cost. Some have requested SATB, but that could get expensive. I find that with VOTA M/F is fine. Maybe use filtering for the separate sections.

4) The coolest word builder would be where you record yourself, and have it analyze the speech and lace the samples together to get the right sound. I use the VOTA wordbuilder, and I can't always get the right "pronunciation". Using filters to go from a breathy "ah" to a Jerry Lewis "ah" would be very cool.

5) Build the word builder right into the player. Many GPO users are new to computer music. Make it easy for them. With VOTA I connect Sonar to Maple to the Word Builder to Giga. I've also played with Keyboard->Word Builder->Maple->Sonar->Giga. I'm a techy guy, so it's okay, but easier would be better for the noobs.

6) Timbre and Vibrato control. Not so important in a percussive, Germanic, ff style. Very important for a soft, expressive piece.

7) Don't worry about making it super wide - SATB, children, castrati, dogs, cats... Focus on making a sound great for an attractive price.

8) Make a "best practices" manual. Get people to record live playing. Record the section builds separately - or at least offset them. Use expression control. Build the vibrato. Your users will make better demos, and it will reflect better on your product.

Best of luck on the project!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast