• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tekla Badarczewska

Share/Bookmark

Tekla Badarczewska

My edition of the Oxford Concise Dictionary of Music refers to this as the most tasteless music ever published, but it was one of the most popular pieces of all time. It was written by an 18 year old Polish girl, who died a few years later, possibly from terminal embarrassment. Composed in about 1856. I bought the sheet music about 1951 or so. Until yesterday, the last time I had played it was 1979, by request.

It has such a horrid reputation that I thought it might be interesting. So here is a link to my mp3, done yesterday. Thanks to David Benning for the space. It will disappear after 7 April.

The Maiden's Prayer
    http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~benningd/new/the_maidens_prayer.mp3

Richard

Re: Tekla Badarczewska

Well, I guess there's something wrong with me because I really like it I don't find it tasteless at all.

Richard,
    Thanks for posting this pointless, sentimental and (as you point out) tasteless creampuff. 3 minutes and 24 seconds of my life have been wasted and worse, I'll have that rediculous tune running through my head, LOL.
    Seriously, it's interesting to see just what sort of "art" will grab the masses.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

What this fine piece lacks in invention and creativity, it fully makes up for in blanditude.

And Richard, I hate to criticize your performance -- but really! You're not supposed to get *all* the notes right. It ruins the piece.

Seriously, though -- c'mon guys, tell me any one of you didn't write a few rather uninspired missives starting out... lol. I sure did.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

this has one of the most wonderful endings in all music..... I'm glad I somehow stuck it out until then. Must have been one of Chopin's star pupils.

Ah - the days of silent movies needing local pianists for BG music.

Then again - sometimes they should have been silent - movies.

Anyone have an arrangement with full orchestration so we can put it into a few elevators?

Just think what Liberace would have done with this!

Im sorry folks but I don't buy the "tasteless" tag unfairly put to this piece. It was written in the 19th Century by an otherwise unknown composer - so why hasn't it sunk without trace? Because in its day it became one of the most popular pieces ever written, and it wasn't popular because it was held up as an example of bad taste, but because the simple tune and its variations had undoubtedly mass appeal. No its not a masterpiece, but it is still in the record catalogues today - so obviously I'm not out on a complete limb!

I have to say I found it somehow sort of sweet as well and I don't think the tune is as tasteless as most of the more popular music we hear today. But well written it ain't for the most part.

Go Back to forum