• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB: Question about live playability and percussion layout

Share/Bookmark

JABB: Question about live playability and percussion layout

I have 2 questions regarding JABB. It would be nice if one of the experienced users could help me out.
    1. How is the live playability of JABB? I´m more the type of person who likes to play live (with the aid of some controllers) as I don´t like tweaking my tracks with the mouse afterwards. I´m aware that this is always impossible to perform with a keyboard but I hope that JABB gives me some opportunities to use it as an instrument rather than a bigband puzzle.

2. Are the percusssions layed out according to the GM specifications? I´m asking because I have quite some midi files fitting the GM standard which could use some nice percussion.

Thanks very much for your help
    regards
    Raindog

Re: JABB: Question about live playability and percussion layout

The live playability will depend on your hardware setup and personal dexterity!

I have a midi keyboard that does not have aftertouch, so I have remapped vibrato intensity and speed to two sliders on the keyboard. Becasue these sliders use up my left hand, I have remapped the mod wheel (volume and timbre) to a foot pedal (expression pedal). This then leaves the right hand to play the part.

It has taken a bit of getting used to, but it is do-able.

What is difficult to incorporate into this live playing are any other controllers such as pitchbend, trumpet specials like doits.

There is at least one (can't check as I'm on my work computer) GM drumkit included.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    1. How is the live playability of JABB? I´m more the type of person who likes to play live (with the aid of some controllers) as I don´t like tweaking my tracks with the mouse afterwards. I´m aware that this is always impossible to perform with a keyboard but I hope that JABB gives me some opportunities to use it as an instrument rather than a bigband puzzle.
    Depends on what will satisfy you. With a few exceptions, the instruments in JABB are not designed (not in the initial release anyway) to be realtime, live-performance instruments. The number of necessary controllers to give the user the ability to manipulate the instruments in detail makes live performance highly impractical. Without the application of the many controllers JABB is just another set of samples. Scripting and other future developments will have some effect on this but, for now, JABB is a labor-intensive library if you want to get really convincing results. If you can be satisfied with considerably less than the library's potential then live playing may work for you.

2. Are the percusssions layed out according to the GM specifications? I´m asking because I have quite some midi files fitting the GM standard which could use some nice percussion.
    There are two GM drum kits - a Classic Jazz kit and a Fusion kit. Percussion elements are the same in both. On the other hand, the primary drum and percussion instruments depart from the standard general MIDI spec because there isn't room in the standard mapping for all of the features we wanted to present.

Tom

Thanks both for your reply. I had the possibility to get 35 EUR off the price at bestservice in Germany and ordered JABB.

So far I´m quite satisfied. Some sounds are killers, some are a bit average but I´m able to use my Edirol PCR A-30 as a controler (someone here provided a useful template for JABB...thank you!!) and I will try to set up my Korg PadKontrol which has a lovely X-Y field controller to work with JABB. So I think using these controllers the live playability is highly increased.

It will be nice though if Kontakt 2 scripts will be applicable to JABB as scripting is a genious invention to increase playability of sample libraries. I think JABB is begging for it.

best regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    It will be nice though if Kontakt 2 scripts will be applicable to JABB as scripting is a genious invention to increase playability of sample libraries. I think JABB is begging for it.
    I've mentioned on several threads that scripting is not only in the plans but some of the programming in JABB was done specifically with scripting in mind (like the brass shakes layer - see tutorial.) I decided to run the risk of taking some heat now for a payoff later.

Tom

Go Back to forum