• Register
  • Help

Topic: LPC in K2: switching midi channels in real time?

Share/Bookmark

LPC in K2: switching midi channels in real time?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to LPC and K2, so please bare with me. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do guitar rhythm tracks that change between major and minor chords. It seems that all chord types use the same note ranges (E2-B3, E4-B5) and thus you are forced to use one type of chord per midi track. To me this is very frustrating, as I dont know what chords my song is going to use until I play them, and having to switch between midi channels to hear a minor chord makes composition impossible (unless I am missing something very simple here).

I find the layout the "12-string chords" instrument that came with Kontakt 1 to be perfect, as they have both major and minor chords on one patch, using different parts of the keyboard. e.g. major will be E1-D3 (with E1 being down stroke and E2 being upstroke) with E3-D5 being minor.

Do you guys create your own patches like this, or do you struggle with using multiple midi tracks to create your guitar tracks? Is there a way to make your own keyswitches that will switch Kontakt2 to different midi channels? e.g. C0 is midi 1, C#0 switches to midi channel 2, etc, as this would seem to solve the whole problem.

I know there is a "load all chords" multi (or something like that) but I would like to only load the chords I am going to need to save on resources. I can always add them fancy m9 chords later

I'm using Logic 7.1.1 without any special kontakt environment routing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance for your reply.

Jon

Re: LPC in K2: switching midi channels in real time?

I have never used it, but can you load the all chords multi and play the parts to include all the samples you want, and then used Kontakt's ram purge feature to remove all the other samples?

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to LPC and K2, so please bare with me. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do guitar rhythm tracks that change between major and minor chords. It seems that all chord types use the same note ranges (E2-B3, E4-B5) and thus you are forced to use one type of chord per midi track. To me this is very frustrating, as I dont know what chords my song is going to use until I play them, and having to switch between midi channels to hear a minor chord makes composition impossible (unless I am missing something very simple here).

I find the layout the "12-string chords" instrument that came with Kontakt 1 to be perfect, as they have both major and minor chords on one patch, using different parts of the keyboard. e.g. major will be E1-D3 (with E1 being down stroke and E2 being upstroke) with E3-D5 being minor.

Do you guys create your own patches like this, or do you struggle with using multiple midi tracks to create your guitar tracks? Is there a way to make your own keyswitches that will switch Kontakt2 to different midi channels? e.g. C0 is midi 1, C#0 switches to midi channel 2, etc, as this would seem to solve the whole problem.

I know there is a "load all chords" multi (or something like that) but I would like to only load the chords I am going to need to save on resources. I can always add them fancy m9 chords later

I'm using Logic 7.1.1 without any special kontakt environment routing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance for your reply.

Jon
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I have never used it, but can you load the all chords multi and play the parts to include all the samples you want, and then used Kontakt's ram purge feature to remove all the other samples?

jeffn1
    Good idea, and I guess that will work. Though it seems like a bit of overkill to load ALL those chord types if you only use standard major and minor. Also in the song I'm currently working on, RAM is at a premium, and would take freezing many tracks before I'd be able to load that monster multi!

This will work, but I was hoping for an easier way. Is there a way to customize the all chords multi it for only particular chord types?

Wait, couldn't I just delete the chord types I'm not going to use and save this as a new multi? I'll have to test this, but I dont see why it wouldnt work! I'm such an idiot! LOL. Well, I'll leave this post up so that others may learn from my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Good idea, and I guess that will work. Though it seems like a bit of overkill to load ALL those chord types if you only use standard major and minor. Also in the song I'm currently working on, RAM is at a premium, and would take freezing many tracks before I'd be able to load that monster multi!

This will work, but I was hoping for an easier way. Is there a way to customize the all chords multi it for only particular chord types?

Wait, couldn't I just delete the chord types I'm not going to use and save this as a new multi? I'll have to test this, but I dont see why it wouldnt work! I'm such an idiot! LOL. Well, I'll leave this post up so that others may learn from my ignorance
    Hmmm, that does seem like a good simple solution. It is better than mine in that you will keep all the samples for each track loaded in the multi. I think the ram purge function would eliminate all samples that were not used in the project so you could not use them going forward.

Let us know how that works.

jefffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum