• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which Vienna Vi's for Pop/R&B production?

Share/Bookmark

Which Vienna Vi's for Pop/R&B production?

Hi there,

I'm a Pop/R&B singer/songwriter. I use strings often for lines and chordal pads. I have several synths and GPO, but am not satisfied with the quality of the string sounds. So, I am considering the Vienna VI's. I need the Chamber strings for certain songs and - since i can't demo the VI's anywhere - I'm not sure if they will cut it when a ballad takes off and i want a more lush sound from the string lines - especially in the higher range. Unfortunately i can't afford both Orch Strings, so i would have to go with Orch Strings 1 and hope I can layer the Chamber Strings with it to fill in the bottom end when needed. Does this sound like a good compromise?

Second question: how easy are the VI's to use? Will I be programming for hours to get a realistic performance?

Here is a couple of songs to give you an idea of how I use the strings. Forgive the quality - they are just writing/production demos and not the final vocal or mix. The last song - Father To My Son is particularily important to me and I will probably need to get the Solo Strings for it - unless someone thinks i can pull off the orchestration - I use that term lightly - with the Chamber strings.

http://www.mattdean.com/iwill.mp3

http://www.mattdean.com/takemyhand.mp3

http://www.mattdean.com/fathertomyson.mp3

Thanks for your input.

Matt
    http://www.mattdean.com

Re: Which Vienna Vi's for Pop/R&B production?

Thanks Lee,

I will check that out after my gig tonight. I definitely want killer string pads and smooth and open certainly works for me!

How is the library to work with? Will I need 10 tracks for each line to accomadate articulations?

Thanks again,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    Thanks Lee,

I will check that out after my gig tonight. I definitely want killer string pads and smooth and open certainly works for me!

How is the library to work with? Will I need 10 tracks for each line to accomadate articulations?

Thanks again,

Matt
    I second Sonic Implants for pads, there's no dough about that, But you will need Giga Studio to run SI so keep that in mind. There is also SISS mini witch is 1/2 price. Frankly my best advise would be to get both, they mix well together and complement each other. You cant go wrong with SISS+VSL VI ch. strings(regular not the extended content unless you can afford it...), those 2 were made to last!

P.S. I did not listen to your music due to my slow speed Internet connection but i can tell that IMO SI will work better on music with slower beat and VSL ch. str. will work better for faster beat in general...

Thanks for the reply,

I don't know if i can afford the Sonic Implants AND the Vienna, so I will probably need to choose between the two. I wish there was a way to go to a store and sit down with them. My needs are pretty specific I guess.

So, I listened to the SI demos - very nice indeed. I can see the sounds as useful in my production. My question is: is there a "legato" playing feature like in the GPO, or will all the notes start the same way - which gives that keyboard feel to the performance? Also, how hard is it to program convincing material?

BTW, you can get the SISS for EXS24, so i am OK since I work in Logic.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply,

My question is: is there a "legato" playing feature like in the GPO, or will all the notes start the same way - which gives that keyboard feel to the performance?
    Well i never used GPO so i don't know but there is a legato patch in SISS and it's my favorite after the Espressivo patch, they are not exactly connective notes like VSL with that sliding pitch from one note to the other but it works great, and they are definitely legato in style. I plan to double them with vsl ch. str. for that connective effect BTW.., should be good. But what's great about the leg. patch is that you can choose between up-down bow with the mod wheel or load 2 separate patch on 2 deferent ch., and they are very good, subtle(like it should be) but very good. The programming for dynamics with the mod wheel is perfect. Tuning is great...i could go on..

Also, how hard is it to program convincing material?
    I think all libs need a little programming but this one is consider to be good right out of the box and i would have to agree with that.

BTW,you can get the SISS for EXS24, so i am OK since I work in Logic

Oups! I didn't know that, or i completely forgot since I'm a PC guy. But you wont be able to take full advantage of the new programming in GS3 format. But i would not worry about that cause while the new programming is great, the reel strength of this lib. is the samples themselves, the recording. the ambiance(the room), and the musician's performance who were 100% into it. It's obvious to me that the Boston pop did not take that project lightly and I'm soooo grateful for that.

P.S. I bought that lib only 1 month ago so it would be nice to have all this confirm by somebody with more experience with the product but I'd be surprise if i was off on this one. I'm very impress with the quality of this product and I'm usually not that easy to impress, i hope.

O.T. Spring is coming fast this year in Canada he? Thanks to global worming i guess? I'm Canadian too BTW.

Good luck with your project.

Geronimo.

It can't come fast enough for me! Tired of setting up gear in the cold
    Where in Canada are you?

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the SI. I forgot to ask if there were solo strings in the collection as well? I wish i could just get 4 or 5 libraries and pick what i need at the time, but I've already spent a fortune on virtual instruments. There'll be nothing left for mixing!

You mentioned the SI was better for slow production. I do use them in fast tunes as well, will I have trouble in fast songs with the SI?

Anyone else care to ring in? I'm an opinion farmer and it's harvesting time!!

I would say go with Vienna Chamber strings and when you want a bigger sound layer it with GPO, since you already have it.

D

That thought had occurred to me as well. I might even consider the SISS with the Vienna Chamber. That coul dgive me a large choice when producing. A bit expensive though.

Thanks for the input.

That thought had occurred to me as well. I might even consider the SISS with the Vienna Chamber. That coul dgive me a large choice when producing. A bit expensive though.

Thanks for the input.
    Listening to your tracks which are quite good btw - most of what I heard regarding the use of strings are pads - as opposed to actual string lines. Those sort of pads you can do effectively with Atmosphere.

String lines - of which there are many places in those example songs -could be inserted all over the place if wanted. For string lines for that type of thing - I would check out SISS - unfortunately NOT available in Kontakt with scripting at this time - or indeed Kirk Hunter if price is a real issue.

Atmosphere is indeed better suited for your needs IMHO than an expenisve library.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum