• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3 in the sequencer PC?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 in the sequencer PC?

Hi,
    I would like to ask an opinion whether should upgrade to GS3 or not, here is the case.
    I have no dedicated PC for Gigastudio. Right now I use 1 PC for everything (Nuendo2 & Gigastudio2), however I do have a considered strong PC (P4 3.06GHz/533GHz FSB, 3GB RAM, SATA drives). I have no complaint with Gigastudio2, it works peacefully with my Nuendo under the same roof. Now I am afraid if I upgraded to GS3, it will require a dedicated PC, otherwise it won't run smoothly.
    Any idea?

Thanks.

hc.

Re: GS3 in the sequencer PC?

I use mine with Sonar and GS3 on the same Athlon 3000+ system. It works great, even with Sonar playing sync'd video.

-JF

I use my GS3 on a Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 2 GByte RAM in stand alone mode with SONAR 4 PE & Overture 4 & in Rewire mode with Ableton Live & Forte ensemble. No problems at all.

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Ok thanks for the replies,
    I think I have faith now

hc.

Quote Originally Posted by hangee_77
    Hi,
    I would like to ask an opinion whether should upgrade to GS3 or not, here is the case.
    I have no dedicated PC for Gigastudio. Right now I use 1 PC for everything (Nuendo2 & Gigastudio2), however I do have a considered strong PC (P4 3.06GHz/533GHz FSB, 3GB RAM, SATA drives). I have no complaint with Gigastudio2, it works peacefully with my Nuendo under the same roof. Now I am afraid if I upgraded to GS3, it will require a dedicated PC, otherwise it won't run smoothly.
    Any idea?

Thanks.

hc.
    Keep in mind you can't have both on the same system. While GS3 does so much more, one can appreciate a stable GS2.5

Still using a 2.8 ghz P4 with a p4p800 delux mobo and 2 gigs ram, and Seagate 80, 120, and 200 gig satas (Kingwin plug tray) and have no problems at all running gs3 and Sonar together. Used to run gs 2.54 on it and found gs3 runs smoother and can load more stuff. For instance I was never able to run the 16-bit Black and White Grands together with gs2 while gs3 easily runs then 24 bit together for 2 piano stuff. Same experience as Jon with Sonar and GS3 doing video. Btw, I use a Tascam fw1884 for audio.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Keep in mind you can't have both on the same system. While GS3 does so much more, one can appreciate a stable GS2.5
    I've found GS3 to be more stable than GS2.5 was for me. And the load times are lightning fast, in comparison.

I think with GS3 there are two camps: those who have installed it and found it to work as advertised, and those who have a very crash-prone system. I think the second group either has marginal hardware, or has chosen hardware that doesn't all play well together with GS3. In any case, people in the second group have valid frustrations.

You don't read about many systems that are "almost" stable.

The safest way to go is to build a system modeled after another one that is known to work, and to beat it to death with prime95 to make sure that it's a real brickhouse.

There are some examples of working machines here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ystemsthatwork

-JF

I GS3 with live and pro tools no problems, great performance, AMD 2800+ 2 Gb Ram , xp , Tweaked my virtual settings (paging file size) .

Hi hangee77,

I suggest GS3, because of it advantages (e.g. iMIDI) compared with the earlier issues.
    I heard that GS3 will be published as an VSTi, so it will be the best waiting a couple of days and buy the VSTi-version of GS3. So go to the TASCAM-site and inform yourself.

Greetings
    virtualsinger

Tascam will likely be at NAB during the week of the 24th. I doubt that they will specifically target that show for GVI release, but I will certainly talk with them and find out when they hope to release.

Keep in mind that after the long interval between GS3's announcement and GS3 slipped ship dates, they may be a bit gun shy to promise anything...

-JF

Go Back to forum