• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Worlds Greatest Classical Musician!

Share/Bookmark

The Worlds Greatest Classical Musician!

Stoic by nature and dedicated to the highest standards of musical taste and artistic expression.

This was LIBERACE.

Re: The Worlds Greatest Classical Musician!

one might take exception to - well, actually, one probably SHOULD take exception to - his flamboyance, but his tremendous abilities as a pianist were never in doubt.
    I think had he not taken the "Vegas" route we would probably speak of him in very different terms.

His chops were never in doubt, it was his taste, musically as well as lifestyle. My mother used to listen to him religiously every week, while I would go to my room and cringe. His interpretation of the literature was always geared toward the flambouyant, not the artisitc.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quite a number of years ago, I read a book by Liberace, possibly an autobiography, although I certainly can not now understand why I read it. In this book, he stated that early, he realized that he would never reach the pianistic heights of the likes of Rubinstein, Horowitz, etc, and therefore, he chose the route we are all familiar with. I would not ever have dared spoken disparagingly of his performances to my mother, who was quite a good pianist. It was mostly the blue hair set that was his biggest fan base. I was disappointed when I learned that his piano was a Baldwin, didn't want anyone to think he had influenced by piano choice! When I had the opportunity, I declined to play his rhinestone piano.

He did a nice job on Beer Barrel Polka. But I could not bear to look at him without a barf bag handy, and his flamboyant handling of nearly everything was too much for me. He is best remembered as a grand showman. He was that, and knew it.

Anybody notice a bit of bias here?

Richard

Post Re: The Worlds Greatest Classical Musician!

He never met an arpeggio he didn't like.
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

There is a great moment in the film "Good Night and Good Luck" which has actual footage of Edward R. Murrow interviewing Liberace, who lived with his mother. One of the questions was "Well Lee, people want to know when you will settle down and get married." Must have seemed quite simple, then...

Thumbs up Re: The Worlds Greatest Classical Musician!

You have had to see this man play in concert!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    You have had to see this man play in concert!

And he had great hair!

I had the good fortune to attend a Liberace concert in New York. What a showman and quite a player. It was an unforgetable concert.

While in Las Vegas, check out the Liberace Museum at 1775 E. Tropicana. David Lomascola put on a show there called "The Piano Artistry of Liberace" (and uses GPO for as the orchestral accompaniment while playing piano).

Here is an article on the man that sums it all up.

He created a different musical reality where convention was tossed out the window and the circus was in town. It was a really big shooow.

I recently saw Momma Mia on Broadway which has been ignored by the critics but is the worlds No.1 show. I met a middle-aged couple that were going to see it for their fourteenth time. I think Liberace would have approved of the outlandish outfits for the finale. What fun!

http://lasvegas.about.com/gi/dynamic...Fliberace.html

Go Back to forum