• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yamaha DS-XG soundcard + Gigasampler v1.6

Share/Bookmark

Yamaha DS-XG soundcard + Gigasampler v1.6

The audio from Gigasampler (v1.6) out of the Yamaha DS-XG card contains constant static-like pops.

I have just installed the most current drivers for the DS-XG, which only slightly reduced the problem. Also, have re-installed Gigasampler software, but to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions? Tricks? Etc. for cleaning up the noise?

Thanks...Best Wishes,
    Steve Singer

Re: Yamaha DS-XG soundcard + Gigasampler v1.6

Steve,
    Rifle through some of the older posts on this forum. Clicks and pops appear to be one of the few things which people commonly run into. From the posts I\'ve read it seems to be related to the speed of transfer from the hard disk, and the amount of ram on board, although I\'ve also seen people fix it by changing a DMA setting (can\'t remember where). Generally the solution has had nothing to do with the soundcard.
    Good luck

I\'m having the same problem, with the DS-XG driver, Win 98, PIII 500MHz, 256 RAM. Interestingly, when I capture to WAV, the signal is clean of all pops. It sounds almost as if the signal is clipping somewhere. I\'m planning on getting a Delta 66, although from another post, it may not work well with Cubase. Please let me know if you solve your problem.

Well, I have just gone through hell trying to get a Giga/Cubase system to work. Here\'s what I\'ve learned. The popping on the DS-XG seems to be related to the sample rate. If set at 44.1 kHz, it pops all the time. Change the setting to 48kHz (from Config)and it\'s much improved, but still some crackling. Change to 32kHz, and seems to be even better. I don\'t know if there is a way to change the DS-XG to accept 44.1kHz.

That\'s funny I just posted a message in regards to the same problem I\'m having with my yamaha card just a couple of days ago.

The Yamaha sound card came preinstalled in my Dell PIII 450 system.

1. Is this a good sound card to begin with?

2. I\'ve been thinking about getting the Echo Gina sound card, was wondering if anyone knows how these 2 cards compare?

3. Last but not least, let\'s say I find a wave sample that I like, but I would like to be able to play it in different pitches WITHOUT slowing it down, is my only choice to take the wav sample into a wave editor like Sound Forge and create different pitches of the sample, save each wave file, and then map each pitch through Giga Sampler?

Thanks!

Here\'s something you can try. This would work when I had this type of sound card.

Go to windows control panel and find the yamaha dxg icon click on it. i think under the direct sound heading there should be a selection called game trouble shooting. select this option and click ok. This could help with the pops and clicks.

PaPa Chalk

Papa Chalk u da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy sh*t it worked! Wow. THANKS!

Papa Chalk,

Also if you could comment on whether my Yamaha card is sufficient for high quality music recordings with Cubase & GigaSampler, also should I go ahead with my plans to get a Gina card? Is it worth spending $400 on?

Thanks Papa Chalk!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PaPa Chalk:
    Here\'s something you can try. This would work when I had this type of sound card.

Go to windows control panel and find the yamaha dxg icon click on it. i think under the direct sound heading there should be a selection called game trouble shooting. select this option and click ok. This could help with the pops and clicks.

PaPa Chalk
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Papa Chalk,

You da man!! Your suggestion worked great, so thanks.

Steve Singer

Go Back to forum