• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Big Band Ballad - mp3

JABB Big Band Ballad - mp3

I'm working on a new piece for the band.
    This song is a slow ballad with plenty of room for a flügelhorn soloist.
    I'd be thankful for comments and suggestions!
    The arr is exported from Sibelius to Cubase, where I tried to tweak the sounds. Bass and piano are "live recorded" and the drums are Groove Agent.

Re: JABB Big Band Ballad - mp3

Very nice, Engson! I enjoyed your ballad very much.

Your snare rim hits on beats two and four are a bit tiring after awhile. You do it all the way through and never vary.

Your ending is too abrupt in my opinion. Things just stop suddenly.

All in all, a very nice presentation. Thanks for posting.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

Hi Engson:

Welcome with your JABB ballad. This is a nice piece and I agree with Larry that the drums need more variety (maybe some fills that are so great in ballads, etc.).

But, my main criticism would be your lovely horn needs some VIBRATO. Man, it could really sing all the way through with this effect.

If your keyboard has the "aftertouch" feature, use it and then apply CC17 to regulate the speed of the vibrato. Some say this can be applied using CC131, but I have never had success with this method of applying aftertouch. But, vibrato will do wonders for your solo horn.

Great ballad Engson. Enjoyed it a lot.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I'll let the technical guys fight over the details... while I just listen to the music:

A very enjoyable and well written ballad, Engson; and a strong chart!

My best,

very nice indeed!

listened through several times.!

There's a nice pleasant, memorable melody here.

And although I never noticed the repeating rim hits during the first listen... after the comments, I now see it could be noticeable.'

Great work!

Thanks for your comments!
    The drums are too static, I know. I have problems getting this Groove Agent to play like I want him to do! I might try to record some live drumming instead. This song is actually a demo for the band and we'll play it live on next rehearsel.

Regarding the actual sound of the instruments - I'm learning, I'm learning! Thanks for the tip of using the vibrato. I've done some work on the modulation and the sustain on this one, but I will try to learn to use the vibrato too.

Thanks for listening! /engson

Nice ballad. . . nice "song"! Very pleasant and memorable melody. Nice arrangement with the horns.

With regards to the "technical" end of things (sequencing), the use of vibrato for both the Flugelhorn and maybe the saxes might help "vary" the sound. Also, maybe more variation with dynamics might be helpful?? What version of Cubase are you using?? You can "pencil" in CC changes (dealing with vibrato and dynamics) quite easily using the Cubase SX program. (I use Steinberg's SX 3.) Of course using the CC control from a controlling keyboard can be as helpful if one is more used to this method of "fine-tuning" a sequenced arrangment.

Great job! Nice writing!

Thanks, Ted!
    I use Cubase SL 3.1 and my way of work is to write the arrangement in Sibelius, then I export the MIDI-file into Cubase, where I try to "pencil in" the values for dynamics, sustain, etc.
    I'm a real beginner of doing this MIDI stuff. But I'm learning new things everyday!

Thanks for listening and your comments! /e

This is a very nice song, and it will really sound great live. You are a lucky man! I wish I had a group at my disposal to perform my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    This is a very nice song, and it will really sound great live. You are a lucky man! I wish I had a group at my disposal to perform my stuff.
    jmc, thanks for listening!!

Yes, it is a real blessing to have a band playing what you put in front of them...
    BTW.. if you or anyone else have a Big Band arrangement, I'd be happy to take it to the band for 'testing'. I could also record the tune and make it a mp3 for listening.

best regards /engson

Go Back to forum