• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question?

Share/Bookmark

Question Question?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    How do you handle depression? Now come on, it's only human to experience it at least once in a lifetime. However, some of us get hit in various degrees. Some of us know what may "trigger" depression. Some simply cannot put a finger on it.
    We have here one depressed little boy and he's breaking my heart. I have got to make him smile somehow before this day is over. Thought you chaps might have some suggestions. Sorry, I'm under oath and cannot give you any details.
    Styxx

Re: Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    How do you handle depression? Now come on, it's only human to experience it at least once in a lifetime. However, some of us get hit in various degrees. Some of us know what may "trigger" depression. Some simply cannot put a finger on it.
    We have here one depressed little boy and he's breaking my heart. I have got to make him smile somehow before this day is over. Thought you chaps might have some suggestions. Sorry, I'm under oath and cannot give you any details.
    Styxx,
    How old is the lad?
    Is that info ok?
    Alex.

I can safely say, middle to upper teens.
    Styxx

Tough time for most of us at that age.

It would be easy to ask you to pass on all sort of supportive stuff, but i'm sure you do that anyway.
    I have very good reasons to say, being able to wake up, draw the first breath of the day, see the sun rise, and appreciate another day is beginning, is the most important part of any day for me. Sometimes people get so drawn into the pettiness of life they don't see the trees for the forest. (Or in the Russian case, the Targa!) And at that age we're pretty much convinced we're invincible, so when something doesn't work, it hits a lot harder, and stays a bit longer.

Does the lad have a goal in life?
    If so, does he realise that to reach that goal, he could do well to plan stages? One of the biggest killers of any enthusiasm is failing, and it's often because the goal is set too high, and perceived to be unreachable. And sometimes reaching even the stages is tough, particularly when the same approach gets used every time. A different path often brings interest, and reduces the expectation of 'yet another failure.' Every success is a step forward whether the prize is big or small. I found it's just as important to cherish the little victories, as the big ones.

(Old Russian saying,
    When you're standing on a mountain looking over the Targa, spare a thought for the man who stands in front of a single tree, and thinks of furniture!)

Let him know he's not on his own on this planet from me. Sometimes it can feel like that when the stuff's hitting the fan, and the way out isn't always apparent. (Good lesson here i've used many times. When the cr*p's hitting the fan, stand back and enjoy the colours! Saves a lot of stress.)

Regards to you and the lad, and give him my best wishes for success, now and in the future.

Alex.

From the Mad Russian Limey.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Try beer and women.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Try beer and women.
    Worked for me....

Edit: Although, to clarify, you need both. You can't deal with one without the other.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Try beer and women.
    Good advice.

I used to transport homicidal and suicidal children around the county for an agency that my sister worked for. They all had very good reason to be depressed, unlike many of the people who are supposedly "depressed" these days. And I know I'm opening up a big can of worms by saying that, especially in this forum, but what has happened to us in the past few decades that everyone has to walk around all doped up on something because they can't deal with reality? What has changed?

Anyway Styxx, I would suggest just supporting the kid and being a good role model like I'm sure you are already doing. Good luck to you. Believe me, I realize you have a tough job.

Thumbs up Re: Question?

I took Bruce's advice. Worked like a charm although we can't get him to stand up or walk straight!
    Really, thanks for the great support I knew I could count on you youts.
    The "Lad" has moved on to another class period with positive attitude. My job is not usual school type teaching. There's more to it than books, chalkboard and erasers. Like our principle puts it, "Teaching is second." Most of these children are well, under loved to put it mildly. Then there are the second and third degree offenders. All act as if the world is theirs to own but deep down inside all they need is proper human involvement. It's hard and it gets to the point where I want to just pick up and leave. Then a kid like Josh comes in and no matter how angry, depressed and full of hate, you can't help but try.
    Anyway, we tied him up and carried his ace to the zoo where he belongs. JUST KIDDING!
    Thanks again guys and Brian did you buy yourself a pair of those "rods" yet?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Worked for me....

Edit: Although, to clarify, you need both. You can't deal with one without the other.
    Hard to believe.
    Styxx

Great post, Ern. And I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Hopefully, She's found help since you last heard from her.

For me the key to dealing with depression is to have goals to achieve. But goals don't mean squat if there's a clinical problem at the root. Or if you have some horrible history to overcome.

Styxx, it sounds like the kid needs medication, therapy and, eventually, some attractive goals - like beer and women!

-JF

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast