• Register
  • Help

Topic: Apple releases patch for Windows Use On The Mac

Share/Bookmark

Apple releases patch for Windows Use On The Mac

Re: Apple releases patch for Windows Use On The Mac

A bit late for April Fools... so i'm guessing this is legit.
    Tim

This means that for the first time ever, one could choose to carry a single laptop computer which could be booted into Mac OS or Windows and run either in fully native mode, not emulated, and at full speed.

This is very attractive to somebody like me who works as a consultant for Mac and Windows clients daily.

Sidestepping the arguments and rants about WHY anybody would want one computer to run both, I think this is A Good Thing.

Now I just need to bill enough hours to justify the purchase of a MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo. Plus a full installer CD of Windows XP Pro SP2.

Well, I just check out apple.com and apple confirms the matter.

Richard

Like Wheat said, this would be really nice for a laptop. I wouldn't bother installing windows on a desktop (I already have one of those that has windows... why woudl I want another...) But a MacBook Pro with both OSX and Windows, sounds like a winning situation. Though, I really wish someone would take the time to develope a really good virtual PC application so I don't actually have to leave OSX to run a windows program or two.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Though, I really wish someone would take the time to develope a really good virtual PC application so I don't actually have to leave OSX to run a windows program or two.
    Mac BootCamp is the name of the Apple software that enables installing Windows XP on an Intel Mac for dual booting.

Widely quoted rumors say that the VMWare company is working on an affordable virtual application that would enable an Intel Mac to run Mac OS, Windows and Linux, or any combination, simultaneously.

VMWare's previous products have enabled Intel servers to run various versions of Linux and Windows at the same time.

Certainly, we will see more developments and innovation in this area in the coming months.

When Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard comes out (maybe the end of 2006, maybe later) Mac BootCamp will be a built-in feature.

I think that's cool. I could take my Macbook to work and run my PC cadd program. My old pc laptop has seen better days.

I just came across a really good discussion of Mac Boot Camp and what we hope will be appearing in virtualization apps for Intel Mac. The article is at eWeek.com.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1946996,00.asp

Interesting article.
    Tim

Hey, I just went over to another forum and found an interesting link:

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

This program allows you to run Windows (or Linux if you want) inside a window in OSX. One of the guys installed it on his Intel iMac. He says it's a lot like Virtual PC, but much faster. This is exactly what I want, and it excites me.
    Tim

Go Back to forum