• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is school worth it or how about moving...

Share/Bookmark

Cool Is school worth it or how about moving...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    My problem is that I'm not technical at all for using computer based software to record music. Using programs like Sonar, Cubase with Kontact or Gigastudio to compose projects with and routing all the hardware together etc is a chore for me. I love just loading up a sample and just playing my controller having fun just relaxing a bit. However- I can not figure out how to record myself or connect a into b or choose the correct port for audio so it's not conflicting with the other 3 programs... yada yada. I have looked at some music programs out there and a few colleges offer music technology as a course that seems to offer just what I'm looking for but it's not a full degree and it's no where close to me. So the way I look at it is I need help and learn best by seeing/watching or hands on and if I'm ever going to get good at the craft I'm either going to need to go to school or move to a place where there are a lot more musicians making music my way. What would you guys suggest? I'm actually pretty free to do what ever my hearts desire in a few months with no strings attached. I'm transitioning out of my current career and have saved up a good 6 months of pay so I can make an informed choice and not have to do anything drastic. My new job is flexible enough I can do it pretty much anywhere I would have to move to so I'm really lucky on that part.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: Is school worth it or how about moving...

Hi Seth. Time, money and few responsibilities. I'm envious!

Regarding musical tools, it sounds like you just need to establish a basic workflow. I'd recommend this:

1) Define what you want to do. For instance
    * Record midi from my live playing
    * Tweak the performance.
    * Add some more tracks
    * Mix the volume levels
    * Add ambience
    * Create an MP3
    * Post the MP3
    * Direct Internet listeners to my MP3

2) Figure out what tools you want to use for each step. Confirm that the chosen tools can do what you want by asking at the various forums. You don't need the best tools. You just need to get from point a to point b.

3) Take it step by step. If you get stuck, ask at the manufacturer's forum, or the right forum here at NSS. PM some experts. Focus on that one next step.

4) Document everything. Chef's don't need to be technical, but they need good cookbooks. Make a workflow cookbook.

5) After you get all the way through the process, repeat it a number of times. Don't get too fancy. Concentrate on the music.

6) After you can go through the process in your sleep. figure out what you want to add (how about EQ?), or figure out who to streamline ("It takes forever for me to... How can I speed that up?")

7) Eventually you will want new and better tools. Download free demos when you can and invest the time to learn how to add pages to your cookbook. Maybe the new tool makes things better. Maybe you will learn how comfy your old tools are, saving you some cash.

Anyway, break it down. Keep it simple. Solve one problem at a time. Eventually, it's not a big technical puzzle. It's just like baking a cake.

-JF

Seth. Many people have had success with the "Fairhurst 8 Step Program". It has helped many people through some very rough times. Remember. Admitting the problem is the first step. Oh...and buy his book. Lots of good supplemental information.

That is excellent advice and you really reminded me of exactly my problem of trying to do everything at once. I struggle with that in other areas of life to so remembering the KISS acronym is probably my best bet. My set up is pretty basic, I have sonar on the same computer as gigastudio so problem one is trying to make giga and sonar talks to one another or konpact interface record in sonar. If I figure that part out first then I can worry about how to layer stuff later on etc. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

I also have Sonar and Giga on the same PC. I'm starting a new project tonight. I'll take some time and make a "recipe" for you.

Check back later...

-JF

Hi Seth,

Here's the recipe, as promised. Let me know if it works out...

http://fairhurst.com/jon/GS3-Sonar-Cookbook.txt

-JF

thank you very much for the file, I'm getting in late but will review the notes and apply them next project. I very much appriciate your input.

Kind regards

Seth

That's an awesome post Jon. Thanks.

Go Back to forum