• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Interesting Dept: How Bill Gates Works

Share/Bookmark

Interesting Dept: How Bill Gates Works

I recently read at CNN, an article by Bill Gates: How I Work.

If you look at this office, there isn't much paper in it. On my desk I have three screens, synchronized to form a single desktop. I can drag items from one screen to the next. Once you have that large display area, you'll never go back, because it has a direct impact on productivity.

The screen on the left has my list of e-mails. On the center screen is usually the specific e-mail I'm reading and responding to. And my browser is on the right-hand screen. This setup gives me the ability to glance and see what new has come in while I'm working on something, and to bring up a link that's related to an e-mail and look at it while the e-mail is still in front of me.

I get about 100 e-mails a day. We apply filtering to keep it to that level—e-mail comes straight to me from anyone I've ever corresponded with, anyone from Microsoft, Intel, HP, and all the other partner companies, and anyone I know. And I always see a write-up from my assistant of any other e-mail, from companies that aren't on my permission list or individuals I don't know. That way I know what people are praising us for, what they are complaining about, and what they are asking....

I'm not big on to-do lists. Instead, I use e-mail and desktop folders and my online calendar....

Staying focused is one issue; that's the problem of information overload. The other problem is information underload. Being flooded with information doesn't mean we have the right information or that we're in touch with the right people....

Paper is no longer a big part of my day. I get 90% of my news online, and when I go to a meeting and want to jot things down, I bring my Tablet PC. It's fully synchronized with my office machine so I have all the files I need. It also has a note-taking piece of software called OneNote, so all my notes are in digital form.

The one low-tech piece of equipment still in my office is my whiteboard. I always have nice color pens, and it's great for brainstorming when I'm with other people, and even sometimes by myself....

Days are often filled with meetings. It's a nice luxury to get some time to go write up my thoughts or follow up on meetings during the day. But sometimes that doesn't happen. So then it's great after the kids go to bed to be able to just sit at home and go through whatever e-mail I didn't get to. If the entire week is very busy, it's the weekend when I'll send the long, thoughtful pieces of e-mail. When people come in Monday morning, they'll see that I've been quite busy— they'll have a lot of e-mail."
    Good stuff! I learned a lot and need to go totally paperless. I'll make a note of that if I can find my to-do list buried in piles of paper around my office.

BG suffers from a malady that afflicts me also - information underload!
    Need to find a cure. Only 100 emails a day? And only three monitors? A lesson to return to the simple life

Re: Interesting Dept: How Bill Gates Works

that's cool Gary,
    Bill seems like a very approachable person, well kinda
    WOW!
    Dan

BG suffers from a malady that afflicts me also - information underload!
    Need to find a cure.
    It's called "Power Off" button.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    It's called "Power Off" button.
    you mean the "start" button

Gates is worth gazillions, but he's sitting in what looks like a typical geek office with computer furniture from Walmart. Kinda hard not to love the guy...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

No paper? How boring... His office is too clean... I guess he's not that busy...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Keep in mind, that's not how Bill worked while he was *getting* rich. That's how he works now that he's already rich...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Gates is worth gazillions, but he's sitting in what looks like a typical geek office with computer furniture from Walmart. Kinda hard not to love the guy...
    He's big on Walmart alright. They wanted me to put a grounds maintenance bid on his summer residence but you had to use their equipment (infections?). I noticed it was all from Walmart. Cheap junk! I told the estate manager I wasn't interested. I guess he was showing off because we talked it over in Bill & Melinda's house (lots of family pictures).

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I learned a lot and need to go totally paperless. I'll make a note of that if I can find my to-do list buried in piles of paper around my office.
    Good one!

Only 100 emails a day?
    How many you've got? Is this the reason you don't answer one of my 233 emails?

"GPOA"? Did I read GPOA? What is it and where to get?

Sorry, just kidding.

Only 100 emails a day?
    I guess he hasn't many friends, poor fellow.

I average 100 emails every 4.32 minutes... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Types his email replies very, very, very fast...

Go Back to forum