• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crossing Over

Crossing Over

Updated MP3 to new mix. I changed the drum sounds and added a slight reverb (I thought they were a little too dry.) Also lowered the levels on the strings in the middle section a little.

Hi all, here's a new one from me. This is sort of world music piece (maybe a little bit of a mish-mash of styles but is tending toward Celtic.) Strings, woodwinds, harp, and bass drum are GPO. Appreciate any comments you'd care to offer. I'll likely re-do the percussion/drum part as I'm not real happy with the sound source I'm presently using for it. Thanks.
    Crossing Over

Last edited by Clarkeo; 04-06-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Updated mp3 file

Re: Crossing Over

I LIKE IT!! Nice composition, Clark!

From a "technical" point of view. . .

Well, first please understand that I'm currently listening to these mp3 files from cheap speakers connected to the computer at work. It's very difficult to provide constructive comment while listening through these speakers. Just a couple of things, though, that might need some tweeking. Around 1:20, the strings seems to be a bit too hot in the mix. (Again, could be these speakers.) Also the shaker sound (if indeed you used some kind of shaker sound) also seems to be a bit too hot in the mix. Otherwise, everything else seemed nicely mixed through these "cheapo" speakers.

And, again. . . Nice Work!

Thanks Ted! I agree after listening a few more times that the string level should come down a little in that middle section. I also think I made I made that section a tad too marcotto. I'll fix that in the next version. Yes, that is a shaker sound. I plan on working on the drum sounds a little more as well. Glad you enjoyed it!

Wonderful piece!

This sort of stylistic fusion can often lead to fascinating outcomes.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this -- several times, in fact.

My best,

Nice work indeed!

The opening reminded me of Enigma, in terms of mood/rhythm, (which I really like), but then you carried it off into a unique direction, and still kept it
    upbeat and light.

This was a fun piece!

great job Clark!

Thanks David. I'm flattered that you gave it more that one listen I struggled a little with the direction this one was going but I'm kind of happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks a lot Jeff. This one is quite a bit different than what I've done in the past (I think it's the first jig I've ever written or at least a snippet of one.)

Thanks again,

Neat piece. Now that I've "crossed over" I can agree on it tending toward Celtic; however, the piece has a definite character and definitely fits the title. Also, your mix is really great. Enjoyed this listen.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks Jack, glad you liked it. It was fun mixing modern and traditional sounds/styles in this.

Go Back to forum