• Help

Topic: Another brief mockup (Medal of Honor: Frontline) -

Share/Bookmark

Another brief mockup (Medal of Honor: Frontline) -

Hey guys,

here's a mockup I did from the main theme to Medal of Honor: Frontline -

orig - http://www.rogetmusic.com/temp/MoH-orig.mp3

mockup - http://www.rogetmusic.com/temp/MoH-mockup.mp3

It uses my edited VSL opus1 strings, VSL solo horn, and EWQL Silver / Symphonic Choirs (thanks AudioGANG!! ) for everything else. Mostly I just wanted to try out the choir on this one, but I also concentrated on just getting slow quiet stuff to sound good in samples; the most impressive mockups/demos I've heard are usually louder and have a lot more going on, so I thought I'd try something different.

Any suggestions on the mixing of the vocals? Originally I had it as just full mics, but then I realized they use a delay so I copied the vocal track and delayed it 2 triplet 8ths, using surround mics. Eventually I realized that there's only so much you can do to get one kid to sound exactly like a completely different guy... but still it seems like there should be some way to get it to sound more natural in the mix.

What do you guys think? I might continue it if I remain bored / desperately jobless much longer. (please pray that that's not the case)
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Re: Another brief mockup (Medal of Honor: Frontline) -

I would suggest using the, "OH Slur DXF Boys", with a solo patch layered. That is what I typically do to get a nice fluid sound.

Sean Beeson

Cool, I'll have to give that a shot! In this case though, I actually had the opposite problem - the soloist sounded too "meaty", but at the same time lacked definition. The original recording has an almost frail tone to it, which I wanted to replicate. But again, I guess there's only so much you can do to make one solo voice sound like a completely different one.

But yeah thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna try using the OH Slur patch to give a more continuous sound.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

I love what you did with the strings. But voices without legato (especially that part) is hard to do. Don't mean to be negative, that choir is great. I only wish Gary will include reel legato in his choir, that's the next step IMO.

Hey Will -

good job!

Man, the difference in the choirs is astounding. The EWQL Choirs, tho it sounds good, does not even compare. Maybe as suggested earlier, it needs a bit more work/tweaking? I know this is tedious, but have you tried putting each note on a seperate track/patch? I have not yet delved too much into the EW Choirs as yet, but I do that with my violins, and find I get a much more fluid sound.

Oh, and btw - I am hearing something in the initial hit on the original that I don't in your mock-up - a piano. Not sure if you were aware, but I figured I'd mention it. Again, good work.

Cheers.

Could someone give it a shot with Giovanni?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Could someone give it a shot with Giovanni?
    How about DX-7?

Very good mock-up Will!

The strings and the solo french horn are almost identical to the original... the only problem, as previously pointed out by the others, is the voice. It doesn't sound convincing, especially if compared to the very realistic orchestra. I do not have EWQL Choirs so I can't suggest anything about it (it's on the top of my "To Buy" list).

I think you could get a far better result with a decent female singer (real, I mean), a decent mic and maybe some Antares Autotune...
    That's what I would do if someone requested me a similar arrangement.

Just my humble opinion of course! Anyway, very good job...
    Luca Antonini
    GH Music

The orchestra sounds great, Will, but as mentioned the voice doesn't sound convincing at all. Stuff that you're missing:

*The singer in the original has a reedier, brighter sound. You could maybe cut some low end and boost some mids in singer's formant territory (2800 Hz) to approximate that a little more closely.

*The original singer varies the vowels a little by pitch. The lower notes are closer to an IPA open 'O' than 'A'. It's hard to tell if you've addressed this at all in the mockup, but it does sound much more uniform than the original.

*The original singer has quite a bit more "line" in the performance. This shouldn't be too difficult work into a mockup, especially with a DXF version. Listen closely for dynamics in the original, and you should be able to incorporate some of that subtle crescendo/decrescendo into your version.

*The mockup is too perfect in terms of intonation. Don't know what you could do about that though.

*The original singer places small portamentos between almost every note. Again, this would be difficult to address without causing it to sound synthier than it already does.

I know a soprano who can sound just like this. I'll give you her number if you'd like.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Sorry for my delay, I went back to my alma mater for the weekend. But yeah I'm starting to think that this is maybe Giovanni territory.... won't give up too easily though, as EW:SC is a great product - hopefully this thread won't turn people away from it!!

About the singer though, I do in fact have a lot of slides, dynamics, and vowel variations - it's probably just masked b/c of mixing problems. What I enjoyed about the patch was that it had several keyswitches for different vowels, slides, scoops, and syllables, so I was able to tweak this for each individual note. Unfortunately I think those details were lost because I had the singer on the same reverb hall as the orchestra, which smoothed things out too much.

Here's an update with the voice on its own, no additional reverb, DXF "oh" layered on top, 2.8khz boosted, close+full/surround/DXF patches on different channels with tweaked delays, and dynamics exaggerated a little more:

http://www.rogetmusic.com/temp/MoH-solo.mp3

By the way Riff, you're (thankfully) right about the piano at the beginning - I always thought it played at that first note, but didn't hear it when I did the mockup so I played it safe and took it out (except for at :46). I'll gladly put it back in
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Go Back to forum