• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A question about the Shire theme from LOTR

Share/Bookmark

A question about the Shire theme from LOTR

Can someone tell me definitively, what that particular flute is and; What are the intervals when it does the little grace notes? Like if I wanted to try to emulate that playing keys. My ear isnt quite catching what the interval(s) is/are between the grace note and the target notes of the melody. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Eric
    Last edited by EricWatkins; 04-06-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

Re: A question about the Shire theme from LOTR

Dear Eric,

Regarding the flute, it's probably a wooden flute - not positive, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

Regarding the twiddles, most of them seem to be A's! Below is a quick transcription by ear to get you started - the grace notes are in parentheses:

D E F# A F# (E F# E) D

(A) F# A B D (C# D) C# A (F# A) F# G F# (E A) E

D E F# A (F# A) F# E D E (A) D

(F# A) F# A B A F# (F# A) F# E (D E) D

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Nick.

As someone how dabbles in penny whistles and wood flutes I can tell you that some of the beauty of that sound is from the changing of the fingering and how it affects the pitch. A very tricky task to try an replicate on a keyboard. Good luck!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    As someone how dabbles in penny whistles and wood flutes I can tell you that some of the beauty of that sound is from the changing of the fingering and how it affects the pitch. A very tricky task to try an replicate on a keyboard. Good luck!
    Chris
    I agree. I don't remember now the scale, but sure it is a whistle or a low whistle. Those grace notes are called "rolls" in celtic music. It is something really special. I love it
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

I'm also pretty sure it's a penny whistle. I LOVE the sound of that flute in the Hobbits track and went searching for it myself a little while back.

As a side note.. if you're interested in the real thing I highly recommend http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Pennywhistles.htm. I have one of the concert tuned penny whistles in D and it's a beautiful instrument.

I live close to Erik and got to see his workshop firsthand. It's a real throwback to the days of a master craftsman creating one of a kind handmade instruments. He had three different concert tuned penny whistles that he played for me and they all sounded a little different. I chose the one that I liked the best. (It was the softest sounding of the three)

Actually I think it was a Quena. A penny whistle has a slightly different tone.

Chris

Wow, Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

Eric

Err, I have the score - if you still need help say so, and I will help you best I can.

Cheers.

Thanks Riff. I didnt even know if it was available or not. I just so happen to LOVE the music and I was playing around on my Roland when I happened onto a string patch that inspired me to play out the chords. Then I needed to have the flute on the right hand. It's all just for fun. Where did you find the score? I think I would be interested in studying it. Thanks man.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Thanks Riff. I didnt even know if it was available or not.
    It's not. I know some people that worked on the music, and got a copy for me from Howard. Cool thing to have, mind you. Sorry, but outside of posting a scan of a few bars, I can't share. The best I can do here is have a look later and tell you notes, and/or if any non-orchestral instruments (such as a Quena) are notated on the score. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.

Cheers.

Go Back to forum