• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Parker chorus

Parker chorus

Hi everybody, i'd like to receive comments and suggestions on this first attempt of mine to get good phrasing on the alto; it's a chorus of Parker's solo on Steeplechase

leftclick on "scarica"

Unhappy Re: Parker chorus

I'm unable to open the file. I'm using Quick Time which normally has no problems opening regular mp3 file. Sadly, it can't open this mp3 file for some reason. Could be this computer I'm using at work.

Anyone else have any problems opening this file??

I'll try later when I'm at home using my own computer.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Parker chorus

Can't open it here either.

No problem opening it from here... though it is rather slow downloading, it is not unusually so.

I hope everyone noted your instruction to click on the button marked "scarica".

Very well done, Roberto!

Excellent job on this -- a very convincing ensemble, fine rendering and production... and a superb introduction of yourself to the forum.

I have only one criticism:

There is too little of it. Give us more!

Oops. . .

Thank you, Dave, for the clarification.

One must learn to read the directions. . . . oops. . .

Still, the computer at work won't let me listen to this particular file. Can be darn frustrating sometimes, especially for situations like this one.

Will make the time to listen to this piece when I'm home, using my own computer.

Again, thanks for the clarification, David.

Looking forward to hearing your piece (finally!) when I'm home, Roberto.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Well, that's a 4 out of 5 stars in terms of sampled sax. Most of the fast passages were quite good and in a sax section or tutti I'd consider it acceptable.

Maybe by mixing one real instrument with it, like a trumpet doubling, I'd use it for sure.

But perhaps with even more tweaking it could be more convincing. Not sure, i don't own this library. The revealing parts are in some of the slurred passages.

And no fault of the library, the swing isn't swinging as hard as it could with a seasoned player.

But overall, pretty cool performance for samples!!
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Orcas Island

welcome to the forum!

This is most excellent! Alto sax is one of the most difficult instruments to pull off and you did a remarkable job.

There may be some minor tweaking and Tom, Joaz or Markleford may be able to offer specific suggestions.

I can only echo etLux's sentiments in saying "Gve us more!"

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gary Garritan

thanks all for your kind words,
    the idea was that if i can get an acceptable articulation in a solo piece than i might be able to build convincing sections.
    Gary - it is a honor to be part of your community
    Steve - Adding a real horn would surely mask the faults in the alto part, but the intent was to make the best out of the library itself. And you are right it could swing harder, i have played a bit too loosely on time, i will try to make it better.
    Ted, Tom - Sorry for the downloading and file opening problems, i will try a different mp3 format
    David - thank you for your appreciation, i have visited your site and listened to a composition of yours - you make beautiful music and you are a great composer/programmer hope i will be able to steal some of your secrets.

I don't know why i can't point directly to the file on the server, when you click on the link you are taken to the page where the file is - any idea?

All the best

Very cool rendering. It gives me great hopes for what the library can do if used to it's fullest.

The two things that catch my ear are, first, the spectrum of volume changes is a little too broad for my taste. You might reduce the highs and lows overall and make the transitions smoother or more gradual. The second thing occurs during all the fast runs. It sounds like the notes are being attacked individually when they should be slurred. Try using the sustain pedal controller at the beginning of each run and attack only where the accents should be. That should make a big difference in the realism.

Pleas tell us which alto you used (1,2, or 3) and any settings you may have used for "warmth", mod wheel, etc. I'd love to be able to recreate that level of quality in my own work.

Excellent job!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

WOW! That sounds incredibly real. Also great improv sound on the solo.
    Please share more.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast