My first JABB attempt was a GPO/JABB combination and is called "New Ballad"--a simple AABA composition just like the ballads of the 30s, 40s and 50s. To date, the piece has no lyrics. Not a biggie.
I first orchestrated the piece for symphony orchestra with the flute and clarinet (an octave apart) sharing the melody over lush strings. These two instruments "sing" the melody throughout (in section ONE) as if a vocalist were performing with the orchestra.
That's why a change of instruments was not read into the orchestral script; however, French Horns help rhapsodize the orchestration at the end of section ONE. This was all done with GPO.
I use Steinberg's V-Stack as a VST host, so GPO and JABB Kontakt players can cohabitate all at once. A nifty setup.
Section TWO is a "swing" version of the same piece (song) and uses 8 WWs, 7 brass, and percussion. It also includes a "George Shearing" quintet-style appearance in the second half (my interpretation of his playing) as well as some space devoted to the latin beat. Another first I have tried was using French Horns in the "swing" mode (last 16 bars). They are being used in jazz more and more these days, although I employ them in a supporting role. All of the "swing" portion was done with JABB.
Decisions were difficult for effects using the two libraries in one piece and also trying to combine a symphony setting with a Big Band sound.
Let's just say that this combination is what I call a "Theatre Orchestra--a symphonic setting with saxophones and other band instruments.
Since this is my first attempt with JABB, I realize I need a lot of practice using the library, but, because it was a large undertaking, it was also a great adventure. Most of all, I learned a lot by doing it (on my little Mac and PC laptops).
You can here it here: http://cannonscores.com/NewBallad.mp3