• Register
  • Help

Topic: Editor problem - samples sounding an octave too high

Share/Bookmark

Editor problem - samples sounding an octave too high

When I create an instrument, the samples are sounding an octave too high. I used the wizard, mapped the samples to the notes at the correct pitch, but it has not worked right.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Editor problem - samples sounding an octave too high

Hi,
    I had this. If it is not one of those pitch parameters, you might have a problem with sample conversion.

Once I solved it while opening each sample with the Edit-audio item in the context menu (which opens sample-wrench) and saved it again without any change. This seemed to have adjusted the unity-note item of the sample.

Hope that helps.
    Horst.

Re: Editor problem - samples sounding an octave too high

Thanks Horst.

I have solved, or at least worked around the problem, by adjusting the unity notes of the samples. There is a curious, almost mystical relationship between the unity notes in the samples and the unity notes which you type into the Case Properties | Sampler settings.

The manual briefy explains what unity notes are, but it does not really explain what happens when you adjust them, either in the samples themselves or in the Case Properties | Sampler settings. Or if it does, I can\'t find it.

I want to know:

1) What will happen to the sound of a sample if I change its unity note up one octave? Ditto down one octave.

2) What will happen to the sound if I change the unity note in Case Properties | Sampler up one octave? Ditto down one octave.

3) What will be the result if I change the unity note of the sample up an octave and then the Case Properties | Sampler unity note down an octave. Will they cancel each other out?

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by rpldcox (edited 10-17-1999).]

Go Back to forum