• Register
  • Help

Topic: Assigning A Key To control Vibrato

Share/Bookmark

Assigning A Key To control Vibrato

Hi,

Is there any way to assign a key (such as C1 or C2) to activate the vibrato of the 1st open trumpet in the library istead assigning it to the sustain pedal or any other wheel on the keyboard. I use a Motif 8.

Alan
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: Assigning A Key To control Vibrato

I believe the Motif 8 has aftertouch, which is the default vibrato contoller anyway - or am I misunderstanding your question?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Alan,

You've got me scratching my head over this question. I thought I had explained the use of vibrato in our private message exchange but, apparently, I failed (if I read this question correctly.) Let me try again: The strength of the vibrato is controlled by aftertouch data. If your keyboard has aftertouch (I did a search on the internet on the Motif 8 and it appears to support aftertouch) this is just a matter of increasing downward pressure on the keys of the notes being played. Greater pressure increases the amount of vibrato. Reduced pressure decreases it (to the point of it ceasing.) The speed of the vibrato is controlled by cc17. Higher values give faster speeds. You probably can assign cc17 to one of the hardware sliders on your keyboard. Alternatively, both controllers can be drawn into sequencer tracks. Let me know if this still isn't clear.

In answer to the question about re-assigning vibrato controls to keyswitches or other MIDI controller numbers: No. Unless you re-program the instruments in the full version of Kontakt this is not possible.

Or maybe I also don't understand the question.

Tom

Tom,

As far as I know the Motif 8 is a weighted keyboard having NO aftertouch facilities. I will have to assign a slider. BTW, the first open trumpet which I got to use in an original composition was outstanding in real time using the sustain, bend and volume wheels on my Motif 8. It was a short filler part for the trumpet (Solo Piano Lead) but I was very impressed with the sound. It was truly believable to my ears. I am in the middle of getting a copy right for this Jazz score.

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Alan,

You've got me scratching my head over this question. I thought I had explained the use of vibrato in our private message exchange but, apparently, I failed (if I read this question correctly.) Let me try again: The strength of the vibrato is controlled by aftertouch data. If your keyboard has aftertouch (I did a search on the internet on the Motif 8 and it appears to support aftertouch) this is just a matter of increasing downward pressure on the keys of the notes being played. Greater pressure increases the amount of vibrato. Reduced pressure decreases it (to the point of it ceasing.) The speed of the vibrato is controlled by cc17. Higher values give faster speeds. You probably can assign cc17 to one of the hardware sliders on your keyboard. Alternatively, both controllers can be drawn into sequencer tracks. Let me know if this still isn't clear.

In answer to the question about re-assigning vibrato controls to keyswitches or other MIDI controller numbers: No. Unless you re-program the instruments in the full version of Kontakt this is not possible.

Or maybe I also don't understand the question.

Tom
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Go Back to forum