• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Away I go.....

Share/Bookmark

Away I go.....

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    ...to London for a week or so. Arriving Tuesday and staying for 6 days, (I think). Probably lots of work, but maybe some spare time.
    Any "Londoners" that have any suggestions for "leasure activities"? (Sinking a few lagers at the local is one that I'm looking forward to!)
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thumbs up Re: Away I go.....

Wow, London ... cool. Have a safe and wonderful trip!
    Styxx

Re: Away I go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    ...to London for a week or so. Arriving Tuesday and staying for 6 days, (I think). Probably lots of work, but maybe some spare time.
    Any "Londoners" that have any suggestions for "leasure activities"? (Sinking a few lagers at the local is one that I'm looking forward to!)
    Take a ride on the London Eye. (No you don't have to take your clothes off.)

Go across to Greenwich (Ferry), and take a guided tour of the HMS Victory. (Lord Horatio Nelson's flagship.)

Take a stroll through the Tower of London, and see how law and order used to work, well. (Sigh, they were the days. None of this Poltical Correctness nonsense.)

Go to Tower Bridge, and take the tour there. Some great photos and presentations of when the Bridge was built, and the stuff going on at that time. You can walk over the top of the Thames, in a pedestrian walkway that is a long way up.

Take a leisurely stroll through Hyde Park, and while you're near it, visit Buckingham palace. Take the camera.

If you have time, visit Windsor Castle. It'll take a day round trip so don't plan anything else. (If it's a nice day.)

If you're a photo's person, visit Trafalgar Square, St Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey. Whether you're religious or not, the architecture's good, and worth seeing.

Visit the British Museum. Lot's of great exhibits of things stolen from other countries when Britain ruled the waves, including the Elgen Marbles, for which the Greeks still haven't forgiven us!

If you have the time, visit Kew Gardens, and Crystal Palace.

Some things that might or might not interest you.

You might also want to go over to Chelsea, and see how a Russian runs an English Football Club successfully!

(Just kidding, just kidding.)

I've had it with London.

Avoid:

Streatham
    Stringfellows
    Oxford Street
    The inside of public phone boxes
    Brick Lane curries (overpriced and overrated - try Tooting instead)
    The Queen
    Unlicensed mini-cabs
    Madame Tussauds
    The Northern Line
    Fish dishes
    Men in hoods
    Women in hoods
    Children in hoods (especially)
    Robin Hood (he should be in Sherwood Forest where he belongs)

Have a smashing time. If you're in the Tooting vicinity look me up and I'll introduce your liver to the cheap cooking lager that South London is famous for.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Take a ride on the London Eye. (No you don't have to take your clothes off.)

Go across to Greenwich (Ferry), and take a guided tour of the HMS Victory. (Lord Horatio Nelson's flagship.)

Take a stroll through the Tower of London, and see how law and order used to work, well. (Sigh, they were the days. None of this Poltical Correctness nonsense.)

Go to Tower Bridge, and take the tour there. Some great photos and presentations of when the Bridge was built, and the stuff going on at that time. You can walk over the top of the Thames, in a pedestrian walkway that is a long way up.

Take a leisurely stroll through Hyde Park, and while you're near it, visit Buckingham palace. Take the camera.

If you have time, visit Windsor Castle. It'll take a day round trip so don't plan anything else. (If it's a nice day.)

If you're a photo's person, visit Trafalgar Square, St Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey. Whether you're religious or not, the architecture's good, and worth seeing.

Visit the British Museum. Lot's of great exhibits of things stolen from other countries when Britain ruled the waves, including the Elgen Marbles, for which the Greeks still haven't forgiven us!

If you have the time, visit Kew Gardens, and Crystal Palace.

Some things that might or might not interest you.

You might also want to go over to Chelsea, and see how a Russian runs an English Football Club successfully!

(Just kidding, just kidding.)

Thanks! It was a looong time ago I visited London the last time, and as I said, this is a buisness trip, but I hope to get some time off, even if we're on a busy schedule!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    Avoid:

Streatham
    Stringfellows
    Oxford Street
    The inside of public phone boxes
    Brick Lane curries (overpriced and overrated - try Tooting instead)
    The Queen
    Unlicensed mini-cabs
    Madame Tussauds
    The Northern Line
    Fish dishes
    Men in hoods
    Women in hoods
    Children in hoods (especially)
    Robin Hood (he should be in Sherwood Forest where he belongs)

Have a smashing time. If you're in the Tooting vicinity look me up and I'll introduce your liver to the cheap cooking lager that South London is famous for.

Nick
    I watch out for the hoods then....
    My liver is quite trained, but maybe I should try something else then lager.... bitter?
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Have a good trip,Worra. While you're in London having a wonderful time, I'll be locked in a 12 x14 room in the middle of the desert doing another jingle.

Dear Worra,

Interesting Concerts during that time (at least by my definition)

Shostakovich 1 & 14 are on at the Barbican Centre on 13th (LSO & Valery Gergiev)

Susan Bullock (Soprano) and Louis Lortie at the Wigmore Hall singing Liszt & Wagner on 12th.

Messiah at the Albert Hall on 14th (Royal Choral Society)

Unfortunately, Ronnie Scott's club is currently closed for refurbishment, but if you fancy a bit of New Orlean's Jazz or swing, the 100 club on Oxford street has a band on 14th. 606 Club in Chelsea also sometimes has some good (more traditional - i.e. more progressive) jazz.

I also understand that there is an exhibition of Michaelangelo's drawings at the British Museum until 25th June, along with a small Rembrandt exhibition so this may be worth a look.

While we're in museums, there an exhibition entitled "Pixar: 20 years of animation" on at the Science Museum. Also the V & A has an exhibition on Modernism in design that has been getting some good reviews.

Then there's always the Tate Modern.

And if you're in/around the West End at lunch/dinner time, try popping over to Chinatown (nearest tube, Leicester Square), for some cheap, possibly unidentifiable chinese grub. I can particularly recommend the Mayflower on Shaftesbury Avenue (yum).

Hope this helps, and hope you have a good time.

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Simpson
    And if you're in/around the West End at lunch/dinner time, try popping over to Chinatown (nearest tube, Leicester Square), for some cheap, possibly unidentifiable chinese grub. I can particularly recommend the Mayflower on Shaftesbury Avenue (yum).

Hope this helps, and hope you have a good time.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
    Here's another vote for the Mayflower. Great grub.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast