• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3.12 and audiophile 2496 question

Share/Bookmark

Question Giga 3.12 and audiophile 2496 question

Hello!

anyone who uses this audiocard on their setup??

I have a question regarding the setup required to send audio to the S/PDIF output from Giga.

I've looked into the system settings in Giga to figure out the audio outputs that Giga is using.

I see output 1/2 and output 3/4

I don't see any S/PDIF outs available.

Is the audiophile routing it's audio always through the S/PDIF port no matter which analog outs are selected??

thanks for your help

best regards

Yves

Re: Giga 3.12 and audiophile 2496 question

I never could get anything out from S/PDIF whit GS3 on 2 deferent system, welcome to the club. i think i had the same problem with the M-audio 192 BTW.

If anyone out there can get this to work please let me know, or let ''us'' know.

I have the Audiophile 192 - the 2496's big brother, including balanced I/O.

Output 1/2 is analog and output 3/4 is S/PDIF.

Unfortunately, the AP192 GSIF driver is broken for the S/PDIF output. I can use it as a buffer while capturing to wave from GS3 - streaming two stereo mixes to the hard drive at one time. But I can't get any audio out of the S/PDIF output.

I even tried setting GS3 and S/PDIF to the same clock speed - 44.1K. Still, no sound.

I confirmed that the AP192 S/PDIF output works when using Sonar. That leaves me with one conclusion - M-Audio didn't tie the GSIF driver to the S/PDIF output properly. Maybe it will work with the 2496, but it definitely doesn't with the 192.

If you must use S/PDIF, I recommend using Rewire mode and connecting your Rewire host's master out to the S/PDIF output.

-JF

Thanks JF, the 2496 doesn't work either, they use the same driver BTW.

I'm a little disappointed with M-audio, i cant install my 192's pane control properly, everything is grea out in the patch bay/Router but the last column(H/W Out S/PDIF), the Monitor mixer is grea out too in there.
    I have no idea what the problem is but it works but not fully. It's too bad cause the 192 is a nice little card with balance in/out for a very small price + the company is located at just a few minutes from here(Canada)...I'm a little patriotic after all .

I'll try to contact them soon.

Thanks for your replies guys ,

i've manage to figure out thet output 3/4 is S/PDIF on the M-audio and Giga seems to be coherent on sending the audio out of that port. This is confirmed by the M-audio panel.

I am trying to link the audio form tha S/PDIF out of the 2496 going to a Firepod ( by Presonus) S/PDIF in.

there seems to be some incoherent clock issues between both cards but that could be related to a "generic" RCA cable instead of a shielded S/PDIF cable.

The Firepod is linked to a Powerbook running Logic pro on Tiger.

I'll male some more tests and post the results here.

Thanks again

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    Hello!
    I have a question regarding the setup required to send audio to the S/PDIF output from Giga.

I've looked into the system settings in Giga to figure out the audio outputs that Giga is using.

I see output 1/2 and output 3/4

I don't see any S/PDIF outs available.

Is the audiophile routing it's audio always through the S/PDIF port no matter which analog outs are selected??

Yves
    Hi Yves:

I am not sure if I understand your questions 100%, but I will give you the setting on my system and hopefully that would help. I use this card (2496) on my gigastudio PC. I connect my GS3 PC SPDIF out to my sequencing SPDIF in via SPDIF cable. My sequencing PC uses a Terratec EWS88D card. I set the Audiophile clock to 44.1 and also the terratec card to 44.1.

Here is what I see in my Gigastudio system settings under Hardware.

Midi in port: Delta AP midi
    Output Channels: Channels 1,2 Analog Channels 3,4 Analog
    Input Channels: Channels 1,2 Channels 3,4 hannels 5,6 (all Analog)

Here is what my setting are in my 2496 card control panel

Parch bay router (tab)

First column where it says H/W out 1/2: Wave out 1/2.
    (Columns 2 thought 4 are grayed out)
    Fifth column where it says H/W out SPDIF: Monitor mixer.

Hardware settings (tab)

Master clock: internal/xbal
    Codec sample rate 44100 (check the box that says reset rate when idle)
    SPDIF Sample rate all grayed out. (That's funny that is box is all grayed out)
    Multitrack driver devices: single and in sync
    Variable signal level output: Consumer

SPDIF (tab)

Digital Output format: Consumer

Question
    Is the audiophile routing it's audio always through the S/PDIF port no matter which analog outs are selected?? I would think the answer is Yes, because i tried choosing either and it didn't have any effect.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions or want me to post more info let me know. Or if anybody would recommend better settings also, I am all ears.

Thanks

ddarwin7 ,

thanks a lot for posting your thoughts on this issue.

Your configuration is exactly like mine over here.

What I found out is that you need to select output 3/4 to access the SPDIF outs of the Delta card.
    Output 1/2 are strictly analog.

Like I said previously , Giga does recognize the output configuration and it transmit audio on the selected outputs .

I am having an issue with the "clock" on the S/PDIF side of things.

This output goes to a Presonus Firepod card on a Powerbook and the "clock" seems to be unstable as the firepod doesnt sync reliably to the Delta which is in internal sync and the Firepod is "slaved" to the Delta card.

But , I am NOT using a good coax cable on this hook up. That might be the problem.

thanks again.

best regards

Yves

If the coax cable is short, say, a meter or less, it doesn't matter if it is high quality, or has exactly 75 ohm impedence.

I recommend that you try a video cable, such as what you would use from a DVD player to a TV. The ones with the yellow ends are for video and have 75 ohm impedence.

However, my test showed success out of my AP192 when running an output from Sonar, but no audio signal to the cable when running from GS3.

GS3 shows activity out of the Master, and can use the buffers on outputs 3/4 to write to the hard drive, so GS3 is working properly. The problem is that the AP192 wasn't able to take the data from the GSIF driver and put it out on the S/PDIF output.

Maybe there is some other clocking combination that I could have tried, bit I think I covered it all in the test, including setting GS3 at 44.1 kHz.

-JF

Go Back to forum