• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: K2 first (last?) impressions

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down K2 first (last?) impressions

Despite myself, I went ahead a purchased K2 a few days ago - I got a really, really great deal, so how could I go wrong? Let me count the ways...

K2 would not start w/o install disc in drive - eventually fixed this.
    K2 browser functioning irradically, if at all.
    Many of the programs have serious velocity and volume issues - almost blew my phones a couple of times.
    Cannot remove/delete FX once inserted into chain.
    Velocity values disappear from view once edited. Still there, but are "invisible" until you click in the area/box.
    Snaps, crackles and pops with no cereal in sight.
    Etc. Etc. Etc. And this was just the first hour!

This is the buggiest POS I have encountered in my 30+ years of using software. So bad that the program will not even function. When I tried to register online and get some updates the registration even failed! NI is supposed to rectify this "sometime" next week - I guess when they have nothing better to do.

To top it off, IMPO, the included library sux - overall. Maybe, maybe a handful of usable patches to fill in some gaps I have - piano and some of the VSL articulations. Quite uninspiring. Also, some of the FX, like the chorus, are noisy, which is absolutely unreal to me in this day and age.

Overall, the programing is weak, thus the CPU usage issues, quality issues, user friendly issues, etc. I won't know the real damage until NI gets me a serial number that actually works - when they have nothing better to do.

I know this program rocks for some, and is a "rock" for others. This thing is currently a hard drive paperweight to me.

The dealer I bought it from does not accept software returns. That great deal ain't lookin' so great right now. As a matter of fact, anyone interested in a new, as yet unregistered K2 sampler, at a price too low to advertise, give me a shout!

If I'm not in, I've gone "Gig-gin."

brian

Re: K2 first (last?) impressions

Sorry to hear that Brian.
    I think that the little X close box in the corner of FX icons were added in some update, but I still think you should be able to delete an effect if you select it (click the background of the place where the FX settings are placed) and then press the delete key. This way of selecting an effect or modulation by clicking its background seems very strange, but that's the way it's done.

Just curious, what kind of velocity and volume issues are you experiencing and which velocity values are you refering to?

Nils

I would disagree with you on just about every point, and also point out that until you learn K2, it's somewhat unfair for you to criticize it. Some of your points are certainly user error:

1) You must always update to the latest. The 2.0 you received on the disc has many bugs that were fixed by the latest (2.0.2). I understand the NI web site was doing something weird, but patience -- it rarely goes down and when it does, it's for a matter of minutes or at worst, hours. I have NEVER seen it down for days at a time.

2) K2 browser functioning erratically? It works perfect for me. Maybe you could post some clearer examples of what you're trying to do and what it's not doing right.

3) Turn down your phones.

4) To delete FX, hit the X button in the upper left hand corner of the square that holds them (in group/instrument insert fx chains). Or click anywhere in their "dead" area (where there are no knobs), then they'll highlight with a yellow border, then click delete.

5) No idea what you're talking about with velocity values.

6) Snaps/crackles/pops are a problem with audio hardware and buffer size settings. Try troubleshooting the problem first (as per the NI manual or tech support) rather than blaming Kontakt.

7) To each his own, I guess, but I think the included library is excellent. The VSL library is one of the world's finest orchestral sample libraries. If you don't like it or don't like the rest of the library, well, that's your right, though I would guess you're probably in the minority. I get a lot of use out of it personally.

8) If the "programming is weak" why don't you come up with better programming and then sell it? Clearly you think you can do a better job than the NI team did.

9) If you're that impatient about registration etc. then call NI tech support on the phone. Every time I've called them, they've answered quickly (within a minute or two) and have helped me out of weird registration issues instantly.

I'm willing to help you sort through your problems, but it sounds like you're pretty determined to hate this sampler, so if that's the case, I'm not going to fight you for it -- feel free to go to Giga.

For the real issues that people have with K2, there is a big maintenance release coming out this month sometime - probably the 30th.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Yup, Houston is right: Kontakt 2.1 has entered beta testing and should be released by the end of the month. There are a few new features here and there (see the NI site for details) but the focus is on stability, bug fixes, CPU usage, load times, and other "behind-the-scenes" stuff that should make it even speedier and easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    Sorry to hear that Brian.
    I think that the little X close box in the corner of FX icons were added in some update, but I still think you should be able to delete an effect if you select it (click the background of the place where the FX settings are placed) and then press the delete key. This way of selecting an effect or modulation by clicking its background seems very strange, but that's the way it's done.

Just curious, what kind of velocity and volume issues are you experiencing and which velocity values are you refering to?

Nils
    I must have a really old version as there are no x close boxes, and using the delete key has no effect. Once an FX is in place it's staying there!

The velocity values in the group editor. Say there are three layers - ie three velocity levels - in a given zone with each having values for each respective sample. If I click on those values and then click somewhere else, the velocity info disappears from view. If I click on all the individual velocity ranges then eventually everything disappears. If I again click somewhere in vicinity of each range it reappears, but only as long as the mouse remains in that data field. The info is still there, but there is no visual feedback.

brian

Did you read the manual? This is a must for all programs and libraries these days.

David,

Thanks for your comments:

[/quote]I understand the NI web site was doing something weird, but patience -- it rarely goes down and when it does, it's for a matter of minutes or at worst, hours. I have NEVER seen it down for days at a time.[/quote]

The site did not go down. The registration failed because of some problem with my user ID information. It was not due to imputing the wrong serial number on my part. By the way, I have three other products registered with NI and all of those registraions did in fact go smoothly.

[/quote]3) Turn down your phones.[/quote]

Say I hit an A# - level is normal if not quiet. Then I hit B - wham! The level is off the charts. Level from note to note is completely whacked in some of the instruments.

[/quote]4) To delete FX, hit the X button in the upper left hand corner of the square that holds them (in group/instrument insert fx chains). Or click anywhere in their "dead" area (where there are no knobs), then they'll highlight with a yellow border, then click delete.[/quote]

I'll recheck, but I'm almost positive there were no x buttons on the FX squares. Hitting Delete has absolutely no effect.

[/quote]5) No idea what you're talking about with velocity values.[/quote]

Velocity values under the group editor. Look for a set with several layers and Zones and you will see the individual velocity values for each layer/zone. I usually have to re-set velocity values to match my light playing style.

[/quote]6) Snaps/crackles/pops are a problem with audio hardware and buffer size settings. Try troubleshooting the problem first (as per the NI manual or tech support) rather than blaming Kontakt.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought that I had all of this worked out after the first six or seven libraries I had loaded. My M-audio card usually does not have this problem.

[/quote]7) To each his own, I guess, but I think the included library is excellent. The VSL library is one of the world's finest orchestral sample libraries. If you don't like it or don't like the rest of the library, well, that's your right, though I would guess you're probably in the minority. I get a lot of use out of it personally.[/quote]

I agree, it is very subjective. I already have a lot of orchestra stuff so the VSL samples, for the most part, are duplications, albeit of a different character. I'm just looking at the overall 15 gig library - I do not see where they got very much mileage out of 15 gigs.

[/quote]8) If the "programming is weak" why don't you come up with better programming and then sell it? Clearly you think you can do a better job than the NI team did.[/quote]

The question is not whether I think that I can do a better programming job - it's not my expertise - but rather that I KNOW that every piece of software that I have ever purchased or used, professionally or personally, HAS been better, at least from a "bug" issue, than the version of K2 I have loaded on my computer. If the version is old and can be rectified with updates, fine. But that does not excuse NI for putting out an initial/earlier version such as the one I have - it sux, and that's as objectively as I can put it.

[/quote]9) If you're that impatient about registration etc. then call NI tech support on the phone. Every time I've called them, they've answered quickly (within a minute or two) and have helped me out of weird registration issues instantly.[/quote]

Okay, I can check this out. The dealer I purchased the software from is actually very conscientious about his level of service and made the call to NI to expedite a solution. "Sometime next week" is what he relayed to me. If I seem impatient, it's only because the program is pretty much dead weight at this point until I can update.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by harleg
    Snaps, crackles and pops with no cereal in sight.
    Having "Multiprocessor Enabled" checked on a HyperThreading P4 might give you snaps, crackles and pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Did you read the manual? This is a must for all programs and libraries these days.
    I agree wholeheartedly! Indeed, I did read the manual. If anything, it was a bit cursory. I did not notice any PDF document(s) on the DVDs that appeared to be more beefy versions than the included hard copy. If there is in fact supplemental documentation by all means let me know.

thanks

Go Back to forum