• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Cables

MIDI Cables

The MIDI Specification says that MIDI cables are made with 5-pin DIN connectors where the outer pins, numbered 1 and 3, are not connected end-to-end. Pins 5 and 4 are end-to-end connected and Pin 2, the center one, is connected to the shield (aka, "ground").

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any commercially made MIDI cables that are constructed according to the spec. Monster and a few others connect Pins 2, 4, and 5 end-to-end and leave 1 and 3 unconnected, but no vender (that I've been able to find) solders Pin 2 to the shield.

Has anyone here found a commercially made cable that adheres to the MIDI standard?

If so, which vendor supplies it and how can I buy a few of them?

Re: MIDI Cables

Interesting: not following the spec tends to reduce ground loops.

No problems. I just wanted to be sure to adhere to the spec - thinking that that would be the best way to avoid unexpected issues. I hadn't thought that the spec itself might cause them.

Thank you.

Re: MIDI Cables

I believe the spec calls for the ground on one end only so as to prevent ground loops. You can't check for that without destroying the cable.

Frankly, I wouldn't sweat it. Current loop transmission is about as noise immune as it gets. You'll have a lot more problems with cables breaking than you will with noise.

Go Back to forum