• Register
  • Help

Topic: Searching for "Keyboard -> MIDI -> USB -> Notebook" thingie

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Searching for "Keyboard -> MIDI -> USB -> Notebook" thingie

Hello there!

Lately I am on the road a lot and try to mix my other activities with some composing when I have the time for it. My setup is pretty basic: I've got a notebook from the stoneage (only 2-3 seconds delay between pressing a key and Sibelius reacting... ) and where I stay they have a pretty neat Yamaha Digital Stage Piano standing around.

What I need: I want to connect the Keyboard to my Notebook via USB as cheaply as possible, maybe by some kind of adapter.

Of course I already searched google and got loads of shops offering these adapters. But I would like some tips as to which are the better and the worse ones. Are there any things to be aware of? Any companies to prefer? Any solutions I haven't thought of (External Soundcard that won't make that old piece of notebook die? USB-Masterkeyboard? ..?).

Thanks for your help!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Searching for "Keyboard -> MIDI -> USB -> Notebook" thingie

I'm far from a musical gear expert, but here's the MIDI to USB that I use : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...424898-7082551

It's been working well for a year now... the only complaints on Amazon are from the people who either mess it up themselves or blame it for their MIDI woes.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

The MidiMan Uno is a very nice and inexpensive item that will allow you to interface through the USB port to the keyboard with relative ease.

Here is a link to the M-Audio page with a picture of the UNO:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

I am sure you can get this cheaper at ebay - or a local Sam Ash store.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    The MidiMan Uno is a very nice and inexpensive item that will allow you to interface through the USB port to the keyboard with relative ease.

Here is a link to the M-Audio page with a picture of the UNO:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

I am sure you can get this cheaper at ebay - or a local Sam Ash store.
    i agree. this is the best cheap MIDI interface available. very simple to use and no extra cables to buy. most simple MIDI interfaces are basically a box with three holes in it: MIDI OUT, MIDI IN, and USB. you must also buy the cables to plug into these holes. The UNO has the cables included and already attached. about $40.

Thank you for the tips, guys!

So it looks like I'll be making a visit to the local music hardware store and check that device out.

Thanks for the hints!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum