• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Distorted notes in gigastudio2.54.

Distorted notes in gigastudio2.54.

I just got problem this morning that never before I experienced. My Gigastudio sounds distorted whenever I press the notes.
    I have my Nuendo2 & Gigastudio 160 (v2.54) in one PC, the Nuendo uses Creamware & Gigastudio uses MOTU2408MKII.
    At first I suspected that my MOTU had a problem, but after I routed my Nuendo2 to the MOTU, it sounds clear (no distortion).
    Any idea?
    Please help!

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: Distorted notes in gigastudio2.54.

Check your output levels in the DSP Station.
    The only time I've gotten distortion in GS is when things have been set too hot.

Also make sure you're not routing anything through the AUX busses to get extra gain.

Are you double triggering the notes? If you are running your sequencer, make sure that the little keyboard icon in Giga is blinking.

I hear major distortion (using GS3 and Cubase) when Giga's "CPU meter" goes over 80%.

This seems to happen when I have many Cubase tracks open (involving their own VST-based EQing/processing) and at least one instance of EQing or GigaPulse in GS3...

Eventually it happens whenever I play the notes, no matter it’s only 1 instrument or multiple instruments loaded. So I don’t think it is an overloading issue and yet I have plenty of RAM (3GB) in my PC.
    The keyboard icon is normally blinking as I play the instruments.
    Another thing FYI, I have been trying to change the audio interface to the Creamware Scope in the Gigastudio setting, but the audio is still coming out from the MOTU whenever I play the notes.
    I am thinking to clean up & reinstall the Gigastudio, but before I do this, is there still anything that I should check again?

I just did further research:
    I just opened Nuendo2 with the MOTU set as the audio engine, pulled Kontakt2, and I heard exactly the same sound as the Gigastudio issue.
    When I shutdown the K2 from the VST instruments, the distorting sound dissappeared.
    Then I opened a Nuendo projects without VST instruments or Gigastudio, just pure audio. It sounded pretty clean surprisingly, but still hearing some clicks here & there. At least not like when I open the VST instruments or Gigastudio, sounds like a heavy rain.
    Im pretty sure it's not the buffer issue, cause I had played with different buffer settings and same result.

Can I set my Gigastudio (160) audio cards to 24bit 48KHz?

Another random thought:

What are your sample rate / buffer size / samples per buffer / etc. sound card numbers?

I have 1 onboard sound card, 2 linked Creamware Luna2+Pulsar2 cards, Motu 2408MKII.
    The Creamware Scope settings for Nuendo2 are 24bit/96KHz, lowest latency settings, Clock source: Master.
    The Motu settings for Gigastudio are Sample rate: 48000, Samples Per Buffer: 32, Clock source: PCI-324 Internal.

Quote Originally Posted by hangee_77
    Samples Per Buffer: 32
    Too low, methinks. Try raising that number to 512, then 1024, and see if that makes a difference.

This web page is talking about different hardware, but the concepts are applicable here, too:

What does Override Internal Buffer Size do?

The "Override Internal Buffer Size" setting is found in Performer or Digital Performer's Configure Hardware Driver dialog box when the Audio System is set to use the built in jacks on the mac. MAS defaults to an internal buffer size setting of 1024 samples per buffer. This buffer size setting can be adjusted to another setting other than the default 1024 samples. Lowering the buffer size can reduce latency on faster processors. However, the payoff of lower latency will be slower response in Digital Performer. Realistic override settings are 512 or above. Alternately, if you encounter audible pops, clicks or distortion in your audio, you may want to increase the buffer size. You do not want to set a buffer larger than the default.

Go Back to forum