• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale Human Playback & JABB Tutorial

Share/Bookmark

Finale Human Playback & JABB Tutorial

Hi,

Bar some editing/tweaking that I won't be able to get around to until next weeked, I have now finished my tuorial in using Finale and JABB.

TUTORIAL

I have tried to touch on most aspects of using Finale and JABB, and have assumed a very limited knowledge of both products.

All feedback, criticisms, and error catches are much appreciated.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Finale Human Playback & JABB Tutorial

Thank you.
    Serge

Thanks, Richard.

For some reason, I cannot get the mp3 audio extracts to play correctly, but reading the tutorial has gone a long way to convince me that it is possible to make effective use of JABB features from within Finale. I have been wondering about this, in the context of deciding whether to purchase JABB.

A couple of questions:

1. In your discussion of portamento, you describe the two techniques of defining an expression to change CC20 or, alternatively, using a built-in articulation. Under the articulation approach, does HP interpret the articulation to set CC20, or does it use some other method to achieve the same effect? (As I mentioned, I can't get the audio files to play corretcly, so I can't tell whether the two methods produce a different sound).

2. One thing that would be very helpful would be some guidance on how to use JABB percussion from within Finale. It take it that this differs in some ways from using Finale to write drum parts using GM (which I have done). In particular, the brush tutorial on this forum seems to presuppose that one is "playing" the part on a keyboard; is there any way to write for brushes using Finale to enter the notation rather than playing the parts?

Thanks again for a helpful tutorial.

Rob Rothman

Thnaks Richard. A very helpful tutorial.
    Pierre Laroche

Serge, Pierre and Rob - thanks for the feeback.

Rob - when you say you can't get the mp3 giles to play correctly, do they play at all or just sound very "wobbly". A lot of the earlier mp3 files were converted at the wrong bit rate - which I will be fixing this weekend.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes the portamento and jazz articulation produce slightly different effects - the portamento slides from one note to the next, whereas with the jazz articulation, the first note ends, and then there is a pitchbend upto the target note.
    2. Percussion (and other instruments) - depending on the feedback I get form this sax tutorial, I have in mind to extend the tutorial to cover the whole "Penelope" chart which is scored for full Big Band. After the Sax introduction, the next section is rhythm section and trombone so you might be seeing the Percussion covered quite soon!

Cheers,

Richard N.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

The audio files do play, and the sound basically follows the pitches and rhythms notated. However, it's quite "jerky." In addition, the timbre is nothing like that of real saxes -- it sounds more like the sort of thing generated by the very early synthesizers (think Bob Moog and W. Carlos back when she was still Walter!).

I'm looking forward to learning about percussion, as well as the trombones. I have not worked with JABB (yet), but using Finale's GM instruments I haven't been able to get a realistic sounding trombone gliss. Pitch bend doesn;t do it (I think because, on a real instrument, the timbre changes along with the pitch, so just changing frequency without changing the mix of overtones doesn;t sound real).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rothman
    The audio files do play, and the sound basically follows the pitches and rhythms notated. However, it's quite "jerky." In addition, the timbre is nothing like that of real saxes -- it sounds more like the sort of thing generated by the very early synthesizers (think Bob Moog and W. Carlos back when she was still Walter!).
    Rob - yes this is a problem with the mp3's I uploaded - they will be fixed Friday/Saturday.
    Richard N.

I have now replaced all of the audio files with ones of better quality.

Please let me know if any still sound strange in any way at all.

Many Thanks,

Richard N.
    Richard N.

In addition to the corrected mp3's, I have now made the "Music Entry" section more complete with the inclusion of a section on Articulations - and added some navigation to this long section of the Tutorial. [depending on your internet settings you may need to refresh the page to see the amenedments]

Other than some tarting up - and subject to any errors found by users - the tutorial is now complete for the Saxophone introduction.

As noted previously, I may extend the Tutorial to cover the complete score for all instruments if there is enough interest
    Richard N.

Thanks again for a most helpful page.
    Serge

Go Back to forum