• Register
  • Help

Topic: Microsoft GarageBand?

Orcas Island

Microsoft GarageBand?

MicrosoftWatch.com reports:
    "Microsoft is still pushing full-steam-ahead with a music-making program, code-named “Monaco,” according to Microsoft partners who requested anonymity. Monaco would be very similar to Apple’s GarageBand application, but would be optimized to take advantage of Windows Vista and the Aero user interface.
    GarageBand is Apple's MacOS application for amateur musicians. It comes with 1,000 pre-recorded sampled loops, and 50 sampled or synthesised instruments that can be played using a MIDI keyboard connected to the computer, or using an on-screen keyboard.

Monaco will be aimed at the same audience, sources said, and will be positioned in the same way – except that it will work on Windows only. Microsoft also is expected to play up Monaco's use of Microsoft-devised search algorithms for finding particular music clips.
    I recently wrote about the Microsoft Audio Summit how impressed I was with the Windows audio team. The vast majority of the team are musicians who are dedicated to make the next version of Windows a great audio platform. It looks like there are fabulous things ahead and will be interesting to see what the music technology landscape looks like a year from now.

Gary Garritan

Re: Microsoft GarageBand?

One day, we will need no software purchases. We'll simply install the OS, and it'll all be there...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    One day, we will need no software purchases. We'll simply install the OS, and it'll all be there...
    Well, yes... of course :

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hmmm... I wonder how the guys at Sony-Madison feel about this - maybe MS licensed some portion of ACID - would seem to match up since it's a .NET application.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum