• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Borsendorfer Bossa-Nova

Share/Bookmark

Borsendorfer Bossa-Nova

Hi all,

I finally got a chance to arrange and perform an original compostiion that is quite dear to me called "In My Next Life" @2006 Alan Russell Music
    I chose the Bardstown Imperial Grand Borsendorfer as the lead keyboard.

http://alanrussell-music.com/In%20My%20Next%20Life.MP3

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: Bosendorfer Bossa-Nova

Loved the feel of this piece, and the Bosie samples sounded lovely in it.

When you went off to a different place c.the two-minute mark, it seemed like just the right place to go to.

At c.three minutes, when the background instruments became more prominent, I liked what they were doing but not the sound that were making. A little tinny.

All in all a lovely piece that carried me right along.

Re: Borsendorfer Bossa-Nova

Hi Andrew,

I used the Garritan Lites for the strings. (This is an older library but works well with Pop Strings for me)

The other libraries used:

Trilogy Acoustic Bass
    Real Guitar 2
    JABB 1st Trumpet (open)
    Dr Jazz Kit from the Motif 8 Keyboard

Alan Russell

Re: Bosendorfer Bossa-Nova

Hi David,

nice to meet you.. The movement from C to Eb major was the transition to the bridge of the tune. What I need to do this evening is to remove the trumpet during the last time the strings play and bring it back as the final (A) melody as the piano circles around it with melody and improv. This did occur to me last night and this is one of the reasons why the thin sound sustained itself. Your critque was well taken..
    It's all about color and where you place the upperstrings with other instruments that might share the same range.

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferris
    Loved the feel of this piece, and the Bosie samples sounded lovely in it.

When you went off to a different place c.the two-minute mark, it seemed like just the right place to go to.

At c.three minutes, when the background instruments became more prominent, I liked what they were doing but not the sound that were making. A little tinny.

All in all a lovely piece that carried me right along.

Thumbs up Re: Borsendorfer Bossa-Nova

This sounds great! The piano, strings and the bass sound nice!
    And really suprized to hear that the jazz drum are from Motif.
    It really sounds nice too.

And of course your composition is wonderful!!
    I`m guessing you played it in realtime in this too

Veron,

this was done entirely in real time. This to me is the only way you can get the tracks to converse with each other in the Jazz genre.

The Dr. Jazz Kit in the Motif 8 is one of my favorites.

Thanks for your kind words..

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    This sounds great! The piano, strings and the bass sound nice!
    And really suprized to hear that the jazz drum are from Motif.
    It really sounds nice too.

And of course your composition is wonderful!!
    I`m guessing you played it in realtime in this too

Such nice tasty piano work, and the bass part isn't a "bass part" - it actually sounds musical(!). I'd like to hear it a little hotter in the mix so I can hear more of it. Very nice rhythm section feel. You've obviously spent a few hours in that situation to have that kind of awareness.

Two requests - please pan the violins to the left where they sit in the orchestra and pan the lower string parts over towards the right to get a nice section spread. It just sounds a little unnatural to hear all the strings, especially the high ones, coming from the right side. My second request is actually two-fold and has to do with the trumpet. First, please reduce or delete the pitch bends, particularly the scoops, and please add some vibrato so it sounds less mechanical. You rhythm players need to pay more attention to us horn players more often I say that as a sax player with some reasonable mileage, so don't take it too personally

Nice job, please favor us with another one as soon as you can.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Paul,

thanks for your suggestions. I am going to split up the strings on the next mix as suggested and I need to CC the vibrato to one of my sliders on the Motif Classic 8. I am also a tenor, clari-flute guy since 12 years old and now 54 this month. I know exactly where you are coming from.

Thanks again..

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    Such nice tasty piano work, and the bass part isn't a "bass part" - it actually sounds musical(!). I'd like to hear it a little hotter in the mix so I can hear more of it. Very nice rhythm section feel. You've obviously spent a few hours in that situation to have that kind of awareness.

Two requests - please pan the violins to the left where they sit in the orchestra and pan the lower string parts over towards the right to get a nice section spread. It just sounds a little unnatural to hear all the strings, especially the high ones, coming from the right side. My second request is actually two-fold and has to do with the trumpet. First, please reduce or delete the pitch bends, particularly the scoops, and please add some vibrato so it sounds less mechanical. You rhythm players need to pay more attention to us horn players more often I say that as a sax player with some reasonable mileage, so don't take it too personally

Nice job, please favor us with another one as soon as you can.

I'm busted! Your piano playing had me fooled. I, too, am just starting to work with JABB. I'm trying to figure out how to get my Kurzweil PC2 faders to send the proper cc's. I'm also thinking about getting a breath controller rather than using the mod wheel for volume. it should be pretty natural to play the "horns" that way.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin
    I'm busted! Your piano playing had me fooled. I, too, am just starting to work with JABB. I'm trying to figure out how to get my Kurzweil PC2 faders to send the proper cc's. I'm also thinking about getting a breath controller rather than using the mod wheel for volume. it should be pretty natural to play the "horns" that way.

Paul,

when it comes to programming CC's, I'm not all experienced. I really need somebody to walk me through this either in Sonar 3.1, The Motif 8 Classic and or Kontakt. I'd love to key that vibrato soemwhere in realtime assigning it to a very low key on the keyboard if possible..

LOL to you and your 88

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum