• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, Finale, HP and Articulations

Share/Bookmark

GPO, Finale, HP and Articulations

Hi all,

I am looking for an easy way to handle articulation (key velocity) in Finale 2006, while using Human Playback. HP automatically interprets dynamic markings to manipulate CC1. This is what I want. But I also want to be able to send real velocity markings. I'd prefer not to need to turn HP off, or at least the GPO component of it.

So essentially, how can I control both CC1 and key velocity in an easy manner?

Thanks!

Re: GPO, Finale, HP and Articulations

Not quite sure, but I suppose you could create your own custom articulation library with articulations affecting velocity or maybe rather attack.

Doesn't Human Playback convert velocity assignments to CC1 mod for GPO sounds?

Thanks!

how about giving a real contextual example of what you are trying to accomplish?
    what exactly is it you want Finale to do? why do you want to specifically control velocity from within Finale?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    how about giving a real contextual example of what you are trying to accomplish?
    what exactly is it you want Finale to do? why do you want to specifically control velocity from within Finale?
    I like to write my music in Finale, because I compose for performers. However, I also want to hear my music played back in a realistic manner. Finale 2006 Human Playback converts dynamic markings (even though they're set up for velocity) to CC1 for GPO sustained instruments (winds, strings). But velocity controls the attack. So if I want a harsher attack on a French Horn or Violin, I want to be able to set a high key velocity, without HP interpreting this as a CC1 change.

Does this clarify?

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what velocity does in an articulation designer context. But, "Attack" does what it says: controls the attack (with non-percussive (CC#1) instruments). If this is what you are after. (looks like it is )

Thanks Nickie,

I'll try that out when I'm home later.

Open to any other methods if people have them?

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Thanks Nickie,

I'll try that out when I'm home later.

Open to any other methods if people have them?
    if you want harsher attacks on your violin or horn, then write accents into your score. HP plays them back fine. you can define how much harder the attack will be by giving your articulation specific percentage to increase.
    so far, in all my Finale scores using GPO all I've used has been totally traditional notation, and completely standard for Finale (the same articulations and dynamic markings since Finale 3.0), and I've gotten wonderful playback from Finale+GPO+HP... sometimes, I think, better than some of what I've heard done using GPO and a sequencer.

Go Back to forum