• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can Kontakt be used "stand alone"?

Share/Bookmark

Can Kontakt be used "stand alone"?

This probably sounds like a silly question to most users, but I have to ask if I can use Kontakt alone, or must it be used in the environment of Sonar, Cubase, etc.

I'm not a novice, either in music, electronics, or computer usage, but I somehow have avoided learning the implications of VST technology (of which, I understand, this is an example....(is it?). At any rate, I just want to use Kontakt as a sample player, but I'm thinking that I need to be running it "in" Cubase etc. (whatever running "in" means).

Could someone explain?
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

Re: Can Kontakt be used "stand alone"?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriels
    This probably sounds like a silly question to most users, but I have to ask if I can use Kontakt alone, or must it be used in the environment of Sonar, Cubase, etc.

I'm not a novice, either in music, electronics, or computer usage, but I somehow have avoided learning the implications of VST technology (of which, I understand, this is an example....(is it?). At any rate, I just want to use Kontakt as a sample player, but I'm thinking that I need to be running it "in" Cubase etc. (whatever running "in" means).

Could someone explain?
    Thanks,
    Gabriel
    Short answer, yes.

D

[QUOTE=Daryl]Short answer, yes.

Daryl,

Oh dear; now I've asked an ambiguous question, and your answer, being a bit TOO short, still leaves me in the dark.

Do you mean "yes, you can run Kontakt stand-alone." , or do you mean "Yes, you need to run Kontakt as a plug-in to a host."?

Well, if you or someone else deigns to amplify that answer, and the answer is that I need a host, is there some simple program that can be used as a host, but which doesn't cost a lot? I am playing live exclusively, so no sequencer is needed.
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

K2 is both standalone ''and'' VST. Your choice!

Hi Gabriel,

K2 can be run as either a VST or DXi plug in or in standalone mode. However, if you are planning on driving K2 from a software sequencer on the same computer, K2 will not appear in the list of your sequencer's output destinations. However, if you have an adequate MIDI interface, you can send your sequencer's output to a physical MIDI out connector and then loop it back with a short MIDI cable to one of your physical MIDI inputs so that K2 can be assigned to it. Perhaps this sounds more complicated than it actually is, I operate K2 this way all the time without any hassle.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob
    However, if you have an adequate MIDI interface, you can send your sequencer's output to a physical MIDI out connector and then loop it back with a short MIDI cable to one of your physical MIDI inputs so that K2 can be assigned to it.
    Sounds like it would be a lot simpler to just use a virtual MIDI cable like MIDI-Yoke.

if you are planning on driving K2 from a software sequencer on the same computer, K2 will not appear in the list of your sequencer's output destinations.
    I use it with DP 4.6 and it does show up as an available instrument.

Hi Nickie

Sounds like it would be a lot simpler to just use a virtual MIDI cable like MIDI-Yoke.
    I just used what I already had but what is MIDI-Yoke and what will it do for me that will be better than what I'm doing?

I use it with DP 4.6 and it does show up as an available instrument.
    That's interesting Amy, I guess it must all depend on the sequencer then, but, this is the first I've heard of this.

Bob
    Big Bob (aka Wonderful Bob)

K2 can be run as either a VST or DXi plug in or in standalone mode. However, if you are planning on driving K2 from a software sequencer on the same computer, K2 will not appear in the list of your sequencer's output destinations.
    How do you use it as a plugin if it's not available as an output destination?

FWIW DP on the Mac automatically recognizes everything you've installed that's available as an Audio Unit plugin (and probably also MAS). To use any of them I create an instrument track for a specific instrument (selected from a list that currently includes Battery, K2, Bos290, Absynth, Moog Modular) and select its output as an available audio interface channel, then create a MIDI track and select its output as the instrument track just created.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyhughes
    How do you use it as a plugin if it's not available as an output destination?
    Oh, I think I see what you're saying. It's not available if it's run stand-alone. Not sure how/if you'd do that in DP, either. I haven't tried inter-application MIDI. I just launched K2 then DP and looked in the "inter-application MIDI" dialog and don't see a way to connect the two.

Go Back to forum