• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio hangs on loading

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio hangs on loading

I have seen references elsewhere to people having this problem but have never seen a solution. When I try to start Gigastudio the program hangs soon after the splash screen appears.

I have a feeling that it is something to do with the licence manager. That standalone program behaves in the same way. However I can load the instrument editor fine. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times and updating to the latest version but no joy.

I have a feeling that I am going to have to clear out something in the registry but I don't know where to begin. I have emailed Tascam but not had a reply. Has anyone got any ideas? Ideally I would like to do a completely fresh install but it is obviously leaving some unhelpful files behind when uninstalling.

I have had it running on the same system in the past so I don't think it is a hardware issue. I have an Echo Mia which has good GSIF drivers.

Many thanks.

Re: Gigastudio hangs on loading

Quote Originally Posted by zetalep
    I have seen references elsewhere to people having this problem but have never seen a solution. When I try to start Gigastudio the program hangs soon after the splash screen appears.

I have a feeling that it is something to do with the licence manager. That standalone program behaves in the same way. However I can load the instrument editor fine. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times and updating to the latest version but no joy.

I have a feeling that I am going to have to clear out something in the registry but I don't know where to begin. I have emailed Tascam but not had a reply. Has anyone got any ideas? Ideally I would like to do a completely fresh install but it is obviously leaving some unhelpful files behind when uninstalling.

I have had it running on the same system in the past so I don't think it is a hardware issue. I have an Echo Mia which has good GSIF drivers.

Many thanks.
    I had the same problem once.
    You can start by enabling all services in Windows.
    Start>Run>type "msconfig">click on services tab and enable all of them.
    This will slow your machine down a little but can solve your issue.
    I think that some changes in services can occur when programs are installed. Giga is rather picky in this.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I had it happen as well before. Problem was a bad VST plugin.

Many peoples' problems here seem to stem from problems with loading the QuickSound database when launching the program.

You can tell Giga not to do that by (un-)checking the appropriate box in Giga's Configuration Manager ("Troubleshoot" tab, under "Startup Options").

See if Giga launches w/o problems with the QS database disabled...

Many thanks for the advice

Michiel's suggestion has solved the problem. I would never have thought of altering my windows configuration

Picky is the word. About a quarter of my plug-ins seem to crash this program too

At least it is now working

Thumbs up Re: Gigastudio hangs on loading

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    I had the same problem once.
    You can start by enabling all services in Windows.
    Start>Run>type "msconfig">click on services tab and enable all of them.
    This will slow your machine down a little but can solve your issue.
    I think that some changes in services can occur when programs are installed. Giga is rather picky in this.
    Hi there,

I'm glad I found this thread because I was having the same problem. It turned out I had a service turned off called Crypkey. Once I turned it back on using msconfig Gigastudio loaded properly again.

Thanks for posting this information!

Eric

Yes. On my GS3 machine, GS3 seems to use the crypkey service but fails to check that its running, try starting it if not, and/or reporting an error if it fails. It just sits and waits forever. I can see this being a trap for savvy users who might set oddball services like that to Manual.

On my non-gs3 machines that service isn't there and there's no trace of it in the registry. My GS3 machine lists it in the registry as a legacy driver. I found references to its loader, crypserv.exe, in the GS3 setup file. GS3 must install it. Although not signed in the usual manner, a string dump indicates it was provided by a company named, CrypKey (Canada) Ltd as part of their Software Licencing System, version 6.0.2, special build D.

Howard

Go Back to forum