• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT:New Short film music

Share/Bookmark

OT:New Short film music

Hi there,

Been a while since I have posted something. This is the first for me – a short film that is ONLY modern dance – no dialog. Wish I could post the film – it looks beautiful! It was a commissioned project for Weber State University’s Dance program.

Basically a sad tale – but has a lot of emotion in the film which was fun to score to. In the spotting session the Director gave me ‘critical’ hits and periods where energy levels must be high and low – loud and soft – but generally gave me a lot room to express (or hang myself – depending on your point of view  )

Let me know what you think.

http://www.robelliottmusic.com/mp3s/...20Decision.mp3

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT:New Short film music

I find it to be excellent. Love the sounds. Simply beautiful work............

Nice! Parts of this are very Cirque du Soleil - especially the high energy sections. I like the variety and that it loops back to the beginning.

BTW, which piano is this? It has a nice character, though it's just a slight bit brighter that I would prefer for the mood.

The only thing that didn't work for me is the 2nd in the left hand at 1:28 after the transition to the major key. It brings the dissonance in too early, as you've just gone towards more consonance with the minor to major modulation. By 1:38 the 2nd works perfectly, as you've already built up the complexity of the left hand. I'd prefer a single note at 1:28. The 2nd took me right out of the flow of the piece. One of those right brain to left brain "huh?" moments.

Well, those are nits, aren't they! I'd love to hear this along with the full quality video!

-JF

Thanks guys for your nice comments. Jon, the piano is Kip's Bosen. A 'darker' steinway or something like that would work - need to have this option. Any recommendations of the latest piano library that will get me there (run on K2).

Regarding the 2nd issue - probably would be better, but in my haste to crank this out (very quickly) - you just run out of time.

Thanks again for listening.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rob, that you can quickly crank out something this well crafted speaks volumes. I can work fast, or add quality, but getting both on the same project is tough!

Regarding pianos, I recently downloaded Worra's Black Grand Close for all of $49 during his birthday sale, and am really enjoying it. It has 16 velocities pedal up and down, plus release samples and is really seamless. I come from a rock/jazz background, so I've traditionally preferred brighter pianos, but this one really suits me. Some dark pianos sound muffled to me, but this one is only slightly cloaked. There are some libs that sound unnaturally EQ'd or nasal, but this one has a nice, natural sound. It runs on all of the major samplers.

But back on topic... Nice work. Let us know when and where the film is shown!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Rob, that you can quickly crank out something this well crafted speaks volumes. I can work fast, or add quality, but getting both on the same project is tough!

Regarding pianos, I recently downloaded Worra's Black Grand Close for all of $49 during his birthday sale, and am really enjoying it. It has 16 velocities pedal up and down, plus release samples and is really seamless. I come from a rock/jazz background, so I've traditionally preferred brighter pianos, but this one really suits me. Some dark pianos sound muffled to me, but this one is only slightly cloaked. There are some libs that sound unnaturally EQ'd or nasal, but this one has a nice, natural sound. It runs on all of the major samplers.

But back on topic... Nice work. Let us know when and where the film is shown!

-JF

Hey - I must have missed that B-day sale. I'll take a closer look at it. Hopefully it is still valid.

All the best,

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I was playing the BG a bit late last night and found it to be very interesting in the highest registers. Some of the darker pianos I've played get duller and duller as you move to the top strings. With BG Close there's a touch of this in the mid-highs, but the piano comes back in spades at the highest notes. Hammer the top octave and the sounds jump right out at you. Back off, and they're mellow as can be. I really like having this dynamic control, as the instrument spans a range of dark and bright.

I can only assume that the HF mic was placed near the top octave. The mid-distance and ambient versions would probably have a different curve as you traverse they keys. I chose the close version, since it was available for download, and because it would be the most versatile in terms of post processing.

Listening a bit closer to the tone, the BG has a bit of a "vintage" sound. That makes sense, given that it's a Steinway D in a concert hall.

The piano that I find to have the most neutral sound is the Post Bos 290. I have the demo version (4 layers?) that came with GS3. Someday, when there's a sale and I have the itch for another piano, I'll pick up the full version with all those velocity layers.

I can see why Kip's Bos is so popular for Jazz and other bright situations. It really cuts, but it also has a rich, complex tone. Using a guitar amp analogy, Kip's Bos has the feel of tubes, rather than transistors, with the presence turned up a bit. I wonder if Kip used tube mics or preamps?

BTW, Sampletekk still lists the downloads for $49. Come to think of it, I stole it for half that price during the B'day sale!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I was playing the BG a bit late last night and found it to be very interesting in the highest registers. Some of the darker pianos I've played get duller and duller as you move to the top strings. With BG Close there's a touch of this in the mid-highs, but the piano comes back in spades at the highest notes. Hammer the top octave and the sounds jump right out at you. Back off, and they're mellow as can be. I really like having this dynamic control, as the instrument spans a range of dark and bright.

I can only assume that the HF mic was placed near the top octave. The mid-distance and ambient versions would probably have a different curve as you traverse they keys. I chose the close version, since it was available for download, and because it would be the most versatile in terms of post processing.

Listening a bit closer to the tone, the BG has a bit of a "vintage" sound. That makes sense, given that it's a Steinway D in a concert hall.

The piano that I find to have the most neutral sound is the Post Bos 290. I have the demo version (4 layers?) that came with GS3. Someday, when there's a sale and I have the itch for another piano, I'll pick up the full version with all those velocity layers.

I can see why Kip's Bos is so popular for Jazz and other bright situations. It really cuts, but it also has a rich, complex tone. Using a guitar amp analogy, Kip's Bos has the feel of tubes, rather than transistors, with the presence turned up a bit. I wonder if Kip used tube mics or preamps?

BTW, Sampletekk still lists the downloads for $49. Come to think of it, I stole it for half that price during the B'day sale!

-JF

Thanks Jon for the BG information. Looks like it has a place for many similar type cues.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hi there,
    In the spotting session the Director gave me ‘critical’ hits and periods where energy levels must be high and low – loud and soft – but generally gave me a lot room to express

Rob
    I'm sure is very satisfied with his decision. A show with music like this one is gifted.

SergeD

Many thanks Serge for your nice comments. This Director seems pleased - hopefully I get the call on his next project

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum