• Register
  • Help

Topic: newbie just getting started with GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

newbie just getting started with GigaStudio

Hi all,

I'm trying to get started with Gigastudio 3.0, and I'm having some problems even getting it up and running. I've tried it on two different computers now, and it's not working on either of them. I haven't registered it yet, I'm just using the 10 day trial for now. I want to make sure it's working on one of the computers here before I go ahead and register it.

On both computers, every time I run GigaStudio Orchestra, I get an error message: "GigaStudio did not initialize properly. Do you want to run GigaStudio in diagnostic mode?". If I click "No", the program just ends. If I click "Yes", it takes me to the GigaStudio System Settings dialog, but no matter what settings I try in here, when I click OK, it just closes, and I'm no closer to actually getting Gigastudio running.

Can anybody offer any suggestions for me? Anything at all would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Tobin

Re: newbie just getting started with GigaStudio

What soundcard are you using? If it's not a GSIF card, you should enter diagnostics and set Giga to run in Rewire mode without any soundcard. I'm away from my GigaPC, so I can't give more details right now...

-JF

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, especially considering that many people have posted a similar complaint in the past. I do apologize for not searching more thouroughly before posting my question. Typical newbie!

The soundcard is an SB Live! Audio 9400. I'm pretty sure that it's not a GSIF card. I did enter diagnostics, but there doesn't seem to be any options to run in Rewire mode there.

This is what I've got:

Am I missing something here?

thanks again!
    Tobin

You need a GSIF sound card. GS won't run without one, unless you're in Rewire mode.

Thanks for the reply Bill. Any suggestions for a GSIF soundcard that's tried and true and not too expensive?

Also, just so I understand correctly, Rewire is used only in conjunction with other software that is also Rewire-compliant, correct? Basically, all I want to do is to be able to play some standard MIDI files using the Gigasampler sounds, as well as some other .gig files that someone is currently in the process of making. Nothing too fancy.

You've got "No Hardware" checked, so you shouldn't need a GSIF card.

Do you have a sequencer, for instance, Sonar, that supports Rewire installed on the machine? Maybe it's expecting a rewire host, but it's not finding one.

I'm not sure. I don't use Rewire, but the one time I did, I already had a Rewire host installed.

-JF

BTW,

The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and Echo MIA MIDI are probably the most popular inexpensive GSIF cards. The 2496 is cleaper, but the MIA has balanced I/O for less noise. There's also the Audiophile 192, which I use.

One tip: The MIA doesn't work on the Asus A8V Deluxe, but it's okay on most everything else. Don't bother asking how I found this out...

-JF

Isn't there s 3rd party (KX Project?) making Soundbalster drivers?

I didn't know Gigastudio would install all the way if it didn't decect a GSIF compliant card.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    BTW,

The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and Echo MIA MIDI are probably the most popular inexpensive GSIF cards. The 2496 is cleaper, but the MIA has balanced I/O for less noise. There's also the Audiophile 192, which I use.

One tip: The MIA doesn't work on the Asus A8V Deluxe, but it's okay on most everything else. Don't bother asking how I found this out...

-JF

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check back in once I've made some upgrades here. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Tobin

Go Back to forum