• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is Firefox for me

Share/Bookmark

Question Is Firefox for me

Hi All:

Reading the replies to Gary's test project for the Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration course has, now and again, surfaced the name "firefox."

I investigated it on the Web and it states it is the "best" thing available at this time for a browser. Faster, more secure, blah, blah, blah.

Is anyone having any problems with firefox? Are there any disadvantages using it with GPO or any other software?

Interested in what our Forum musicians that are using it think about it.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Is Firefox for me

I've used Firefox exclusively for the past year or so. No problems, plus I suppose my setup is more secure because it doesn't have the Microsoft vulnerabilities.

Trond

If there is a disadvantage to Firefox, I have not yet found it. Seems to me that Gary also uses it. I do not use Firefox mail, so I can't comment on that aspect. I prefer Eudora. It seems to me that I have had far less problems since switching to Firefox. But I don't think there is a relationship between Firefox and Garritan products, except possibly during the download, and that has been flawless for me with Firefox.

Richard

Trond and Richard:

Thank you for your input and trust in Firefox. I wanted to know if it was really reliable as it may have to be used by a lot of us if other browsers don't cut Gary's mustard with the RK course.

Thanks again,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I have been using Firefox for a year also, and swear by it. I highly recommend it.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Trond and Richard:

Thank you for your input and trust in Firefox. I wanted to know if it was really reliable as it may have to be used by a lot of us if other browsers don't cut Gary's mustard with the RK course.

Thanks again,

Jack
    Hey Jack,

At this point, FireFox is a mature, reliable, solid product.

For the timebeing, it is more secure than Internet Explorer in some regards; at least until the hackers decide to get serious about attacking it -- and, naturally, your usual prudence about internet activities should prevail.

Installing FireFox has NO influence on Garritan software products -- or, for that matter, any other software.

Installing FireFox does not remove or disable Internet Explorer. It simply gives you a different browser to use (you can switch back and forth between them whenever you wish).

About the only Garritan-relative issue might be the Rimsky-Korsakov project. To be certain you're properly up to speed to play the movie and score files for that... *after* you install FireFox and reboot, you should also update Flash.

You can do that here:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer

And one additional general update you should also do is the JAVA. That's here:

http://www.java.com

Both the Flash and Java updates are free, and very easy to do.

Hope that helps!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Don't forget about Opera also (http://www.opera.com/). Firefox is very nice but I've just been using Opera for some time now. It's quite fast, uses minimal resources and has cut down the huge amount of spyware that I used to get with IE. Between Firefox and Opera you can't go wrong...they're much better than IE in my opinion. The one other nice thing that I can say about Opera is that upon installation it pretty much comes fully loaded with everything that you need to browse with (in Firefox you need to download various extensions...but honestly, that's not a really big deal at all). Here's an interesting article on various browsers:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppor...efoxMyths.html
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

Bill, David and Jim:

Thanks for your "specific" input on firefox.

One other question: I have Norton Anti-Virus installed on my computer. Will Firefox, Opera, etc. interfere with that program, or should I remove it? When I looked at the "read me" file for Norton, it said to remove any other spyware, etc. before installing it.

Again, thank you all for giving me the information I need.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Don't forget about Opera also (http://www.opera.com/). Firefox is very nice but I've just been using Opera for some time now. It's quite fast, uses minimal resources and has cut down the huge amount of spyware that I used to get with IE. Between Firefox and Opera you can't go wrong...they're much better than IE in my opinion. The one other nice thing that I can say about Opera is that upon installation it pretty much comes fully loaded with everything that you need to browse with (in Firefox you need to download various extensions...but honestly, that's not a really big deal at all). Here's an interesting article on various browsers:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppor...efoxMyths.html
    What extensions? I did not download any. Just Firefox. One advantage of Firefox over Opera is that it is free. Both are good programs, but to me, Firefox is smoother. There is (or was) a free version of Opera, but it required advertisments that be placed on your computer, so that made it a no-go for me.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Bill, David and Jim:

Thanks for your "specific" input on firefox.

One other question: I have Norton Anti-Virus installed on my computer. Will Firefox, Opera, etc. interfere with that program, or should I remove it? When I looked at the "read me" file for Norton, it said to remove any other spyware, etc. before installing it.

Again, thank you all for giving me the information I need.

Jack
    Jack,

Norton A/V and FireFox get on just fine together.

Simply download and install FireFox. NAV will automatically detect what it needs to detect.

The reference by NAV to "removing spyware" before installing NAV is not relevant.

What NAV means is, you should not install NAV on a machine that is currently infected in some way. In that NAV relies on boot records and other system fundamentals as initial references of the machine's proper state, were you to do so, it might not detect and would be unable to remove such a pre-existing virus, trojan, etc.

Obviously, FireFox is not an infective agent, in any event. It's just... software.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum