• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please check my methodology?

Share/Bookmark

Please check my methodology?

I'm using DP on a Powerbook G4, 1.67 mghz with 2 gigs of ram. I have opened one instance of Stylus RMX and set up a 4 bar loop made of five groove elements in slice menu mode by dragging and dropping them into separate midi tracks in DP and looping them. So far so good, sounds fine. I know that I cannot use "groove menu mode" on another midi channel at the same time, so I've opened up another "instance" (is this the correct term) of Stylus RMX and chosen the Backbeats "Goin' On" suite to build a song structure with. I've set this to midi channel 8 (It would interfere with the midi channels in the other instance of Stylus if I had set it to midi channel 1, correct?) I dragged and dropped the first element of that suite and so far it sounds fine. I plan to edit the kick parts and so on as I get a song form laid out, and drop in the loops here and there eventually. Is this a sensible method, or am I doing something inefficient or perilous in using 2 instances of Stylus? I want to learn methods that will get me drum tracks as quickly as possible, but will also allow me to edit what I end up with rhythmically. For instance, if I lay down a track in kit mode, I have to open up another instance of Stylus to lay down groove elements to accompany a "kit mode" track, correct? It's beginning to make more sense to me. I'd just like to learn how to work smart (if that's possible in my case) before going through too much trial and error. I'm looking forward to the time when I can lay down a rhythm track that fits and then just destroy it sonically with all the other fun stuff in the rest of this instrument. Thanks for your help!

JC

Re: Please check my methodology?

This isn't true:

I know that I cannot use "groove menu mode" on another midi channel at the same time
    You can set the mode independently on each part.

And, this isn't true:

It would interfere with the midi channels in the other instance of Stylus if I had set it to midi channel 1, correct?
    In general, it's more efficient to use one instance instead of two. In your case, there doesn't seem to be any need for two.

This is true:

if I lay down a track in kit mode, I have to open up another instance of Stylus to lay down groove elements to accompany a "kit mode" track, correct?
    - Glenn

Re: Please check my methodology?

Thanks, Glenn, for answering and for clearing that up for me. I'm a slow learner with this stuff, sorry to say.

JC

Go Back to forum