• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two of mine

Share/Bookmark

Two of mine

Hi. I haven't posted any of my music here before, but I'd be interested in any comments on two recent orchestra pieces, done with EWQLSO Platinum.

The two pieces are called:

"Riffin" and "Mystic Dance".

They are located under the Orchestral heading on this page: http://www.richardemmet.com/listen.html

I had fun writing them. Hope you enjoy.

Richard Emmet

Re: Two of mine

Marvellous talent.

I enjoyed Riffin' very much and some great humour in your writing.

However I wasn't so convinced by Mystic Dance. I think that both pieces suffer from the same problem, highlighted under a spotlight in Mystic Dance, and it is nothing to do with the writing. The fast moving strings really don't work with these samples. There is little clarity and the sound is very smudgy. Maybe there is a different articulation that you could use or maybe something to do with release samples (I don't know the details of how you are set up), but for me the sound is cheap. However, on most of the other sections it sounds lovely, so hopefully there will be a way round this.

Obviously you are entitled to ignore my opinion, but at least I took the trouble to listen...!

D

I really liked the pieces. Executed with a lot of panache and wit.

I also enjoyed your thoughtful memoir of working with Frank Zappa, on your site.

regards Joe

Two nice contrasting pieces : the first one reminds me of Bernstein with West side story. I just would say that the ending is a little bit abrupt (to me).

The second one is very different : moving harmonies and changing rythms, very colorful and refreshing. I think the midi mock-up does not do entirely justice to the piece : it's too mechanical.

Very good writing, these two miniatures could be a part of suite of several short movements with contrasting styles and moods.

Thank you for sharing this goods music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    Two nice contrasting pieces : the first one reminds me of Bernstein with West side story. I just would say that the ending is a little bit abrupt (to me).
    Thanks. It was an intentional homage to West Side Story. That's why I called it Riffin' (Riff was the leader of the Jets).

Very good writing, these two miniatures could be a part of suite of several short movements with contrasting styles and moods.
    You read my mind. I do, in fact, want to include these pieces in a 5-part orchestral suite. Now I just have to think of 3 more. (And find an orchestra to play it!)

I appreciate your comments and the others as well.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by remmet
    "Mystic Dance".
    Beautiful sunny music.
    sfiks

re. mystic dance; the string articulation didn't bother me, fwiw. It was a tad mechanical in the rhythm, especially when you had the various instruments doing the call and response part. But it's a truly lovely piece of music, as someone else said, very sunny. me likey

Terrific work!

I particularly liked Mystic Dance..! very energetic.

you have allot of great work on your site too. Under the Drama section in particular.

Great stuff!

~jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Terrific work!

I particularly liked Mystic Dance..! very energetic.

you have allot of great work on your site too. Under the Drama section in particular.

Great stuff!

~jeff
    Thanks to all of you for listening and for the critiques. In response to the comments about certain sections sounding mechanical and blurry string articulations, I hear you. Both these pieces have each gone through at least 10 or more mixes and all sorts of tinkering with the orchestration. Believe me, I would love to find a way to make them sound more realistic. So far, these are the best versions I've managed to come up with, but I may do some more tweaking at some point.

Richard
    www.richardemmet.com

Go Back to forum